Who Are the Top Cleft Lip Surgeons in CA or the US?

I have a very complex lip issue and need multiple growths removed from inside the mouth way up under my nose. I have been told that this area is unknown territory and is very risky.

Cleft Lip and Palate Revision Advice

+2

Dear Micchy, from your description of the"growths" in your mouth that may be present after cleft lip and palate repair, you should consider a consultation with a cleft surgeon at one of the Multidisciplinary Cleft Teams.  

Your "complex lip issue," if a result of cleft lip, should be addressed by considering potential dental, rhinoplasty, and lip involvement.   If the oral growths  are present after cleft palate surgery, then they may originate from dental or mucous membranes (mouth lining).  

You can research the cleft team and their surgeons by reviewing the websites of the university cleft program or through the American Cleft Palate Association ACPA) website.  

Consider concentrating on:

1.  the experience of the surgeons 
  2. dedication to care of children and adults with cleft lip and palate
  3. academic participation in research, publication,
  4. collaboration with dentists, oral surgeons and others

Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Seek qualified plastic surgeon to help you

+2

Unless you have a history of cleft lip I don't think it's necessary to seek out a facial plastic surgeon with extensive cleft experience. However, you will want to find a surgeon with extensive experience in lip reconstruction and specifically in excision of the type of growth that you have.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Complex lip surgery

+2

It is very difficult to assess your needs from your description. Perhaps you can include a photo or describe your problem and the growths in more depth.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Top cleft lip surgeons in CA

+2

As Dr. Aldea has questioned, why your situation requires a cleft lip surgeon is unclear. Maybe you need a surgeon skilled in the treatment of adult lip cancers more that a cleft surgeon because they are used to doing excisions of the lip.

Either way the problem you describe should be within the skills of any experienced Board Certified plastic surgeon, not just one who does clefts. Besides, most craniofacial surgeons who do clefts restrict most all of their practice to children.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Who are the top cleft lip surgeons in CA or the US?

+2

I am not sure why you would require a cleft lip surgeon to address intra-oral growths which could be addressed by a good Plastic surgeon or ENT.

But, in response you your question, California has MANY good pediatric plastic surgeons. Most are affiliated with the top medical schools in the state. Consult either the California Plastic Surgery Society or UC San Francisco, UCLA , USC and UC San Diego for some suggestions.

Good Luck.

Peter A Aldea, MD

How to locate a Cleft Surgeon

+1

Easiest way is to contact your nearest craniofacial team. Typically by calling the nearest University Medical Center of Children's Hospital and ask for the names of Plastic Surgeons associated with them.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS