Limit to Number of Times You Can Get CO2 Laser Resurfacing?

I am 30 years old, 15 years ago I had terrible accident hence post-surgery scars on my face. My main aim is to make these scars look smaller.

I have had two CO2 laser treatments so far. One was 10 years ago, another 5 years ago (so it’s been reasonable time break between them). I would like to do another CO2 treatment. The laser that my treatments were performed with was made by Sharplan. I was very happy with the results.

But what is the limit of CO2 treatment done? It is very invasive procedure but if it helped me already I would like to get it done as many times as I possibly can (of course with reasonable time breaks).

Full details and photos are located in my review (link below).

Newer CO2 offer even more safety and advantages

+1

Co2 lasers are great for resurfacing skin or remodeling scars. The laser that you mention (The Sharplan ) has been a very effective and reliable device, we have one we still use on occasion in our office. newer CO2 lasers, however, offer safer more effective treatments usually with less healing time.

For certain types of scars, including surgical scars, burn scars, traumatic scars or acne scars, the Lumenis Ultrapulse CO2 is now the gold standard. This laser can be used as a fully ablative CO2 or used in a fractionated mode (Total FX) to provide safer treatments with less healing time. I often use the Fractionated laser on acne scars or surgical scars because it has an amazing ability to remodel skin [blur scars, fill in depressed scars and sometimes even helps to reduce the lighter color some scars have].

So, to answer your question, it is very likely that your skin would respond well to the fractionated CO2 lasers with less concern for any negative effect from your previous laser treatments. Definitely look into this possibility.

Good Luck

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Better off with a fractional laser treatment

+1

I reviewed your photos and history. In its day the sharplan carbon dioxide laser was a good tool but nowadays better tools exist for the type of scars that you have. Most experienced laser practicioners would agree that a fractional device will give you the best results for the type of scars that you have. The question of whether an ablative fractional device like a carbon dioxide or erbium laser or a non-ablative laser treatment is better for these type of scars is debatable.

Jason Pozner, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Lasers for Scars

+1

As long as your surgeon is well experienced with the CO2 laser and he has evaluated the changes that these treatments have had on your skin, he/she will advise you if it is safe to do another session and my guess is that it will be. You have asked multiple questions in different formats and I have responded to them as well.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Non-ablative fractional Erbium is safer and better than traditional CO2 resurfacing for scar removal

+1

Each CO2 resurfacing thins the skin so after 2 CO2 resurfacings I would worry about thinning the skin further and delayed healing-I would not do it.

Scar removal requires the production of new collagen deep in the dermis to plump and remodel facial scars. CO2 resurfacing just planes down the surface-like sandpaper on wood.

The new Non-ablative fractioanl Erbium lasers, used properly, can stimulate the growth of new collagen deep in the skin and remodel and plump scars.

These newer Non-ablative technques are the choice now for scar removal and are much safer-see article below.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS