Best Brow Lift Procedure for Young Male with Receding Hairline?

I'm in my early 30s and of some Mediterranean descent. My eyebows seem to sit rather low on my brow and also slope towards the center of my browline which seems to make me look tired or angry. Otherwise, my forehead is pretty smooth. I think I would just need the center of my brow lifted but I'm unsure what kind of Brow Lift procedure would work best for me, with little increase to my receding hairline and with long-lasting results. Thank you for your time.

Brow lifts and patients with a receding hairline

+2

There are many different brow lifting procedures, such as the coronal and endoscopic approaches. A coronal approach requires a longer incision, which can be placed more on the top of the head since the balding pattern is present, while an endoscopic approach is done more anteriorly. To raise the central portion of the brows it is important to divide the corrugator muscles. Another option might be to only divide the corrugator muscles from the upper blepharoplasty approach and not perform a browlift at all to see if dividing the corrugator muscles will actually raise the central portion of the brow without doing a forehead lift.

Browlift options in men with receding hairlines

+2

There are many browlift options. None is right for every patient.

In men, an endoscopic browlift or a hairline sparing minimally invasive browlift may be the most appealing and avoid distortionof the hair, depending on the hair pattern. The latter procedure can actually restore the hairline by reducing a balding widow's peak area.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Browlifts can be a challenge in men with receding hairlines

+2

I would be very reluctant to recommend any type of surgical brow lift given your current condition. Your ethnicity will place you at risk for prominent scars. Your hairline is receding at a young age and this will likely be progressive. Even if the scars can be hidden in the hair now, there is a substantial risk they will be exposed when your hairline recedes further.

Botox will not provide long lasting results but is still probably the best option for you at this time.

I hope this is not an overly disconcerting response. Good luck and best wishes to you.

Wayne I. Yamahata, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Browlift

+2
It sounds like you are describing a mild descent of the medial brow close to the nose. The lateral brow position is going to be important in making this decision. The strength of the surrounding muscles will also provide important information. If you do not require a signficant elevation and the muscles are strong, I would suggest trying botox. Although this is a temporary solution it will give you insight into what can be accomplished.
A good technique for minimal brow ptosis and a receding hairline is an endoscopic browlift. 3 to 5 small incisions are created within the hairline and the brow can be lifted. Since this is a minimal lift you would not dramatically alter the hairline. An anterior hariline incision in a progressively receding hairline and mediterranean skin may leave you with a visible scar in nonhair bearing skin in years to come.
You need to have a discussion about this with your board certified plastic surgeon as there are tradeoffs to be made.
I hope this was helpful.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Browlift Surgery Incision Placement for Receding Hairline

+1

Occasionally young men with receding hairlines develop brow descent.  Many of these patients are concerned about how they are perceived by others.  They feel that their brow descent makes them look tired and on occasion angry.  They worry that their appearance might impact interpersonal relationships.  For these reasons, many of these patients request brow lift surgery.

This situation represents a significant challenge for surgeons because it’s virtually impossible to elevate the brow in a balding young man without creating visible scarring.

Several treatment options exist and these need to be tailored to the individual patient.  In some cases, a hairline incision can be utilized with excellent results. Unfortunately if the hairline continues to recede, a hair transplant may eventually be necessary.

In the majority of cases the best option is probably the endoscopic browlift.  This procedure generally utilizes short incisions that heal nicely over the course of time.  When this approach is utilized, endotine fixation devices should be used because they’re buried beneath the skin.

When endoscopic browlift is performed the majority of patients are satisfied with their results.  Although, scarring can occur, the incisions are small and tend to heal nicely with time.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Endoscopic brow lift is a good choice in men

+1

In men, hiding the incisions for a brow lift is more difficult. Because the endoscopic technique uses smaller incisions, this approach would be favored.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Best brow lift for receding hair line in Males

+1

I have had good results with the endoscopic lift in men with receding hairlines.  The scars are visible for a while but do fade within a few months.  

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Browlift with Receding Hairline

+1

Browlifts in men can be very successful despite the relatively high incidence of male pattern baldness. The hairline incision, which can be hidden by the surrounding hair and lower the hairline if necessary, is best in most cases. Men should know they will need hair replacement surgery if there is progression of their male pattern baldness, which exposes the incision. The brow lift should be combined with hair replacement surgery, either hair transplants or the Fleming/Mayer Flap, if baldness is present at the time of the initial surgery.

Brow Lift Options

+1

If you have a receding hairline and do not wish to have this accentuated, then an open browlift with a hairline incision would be your best option. The downside to this plan would be a more visible scar as opposed to a coronal or endo-brow approach. Your best course at this point would be to schedule a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss these options in more detail as they related to your particular facial characteristics and aesthetic goals.

Robert C. Bledsoe, Jr., MD

Hairline brow lift

+1

A brow lift at the frontal hairline would not raise the hairline and you could even lower the hairline but there is a trade off of the scar. Your skin type might not be a good mix for this procedure. A direct brow can be done but again the scar might be more visible and obvious right at the upper margin of the eyebrow itself. It's all a trade off.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD