How Will Breasts Look Like After a Lift, then Have Children?

I am considering a breast lift; but what will happen if I have a breast lift and I might have a child or children unplanned? How will my breasts will look, will they look deformed? I know it is recommended to get the procedure after having children, but you never know what life will bring. I'm 20 years old and never had children by the way.

Appearance of Breasts after Breast Lifting and Pregnancy?

+1

Although I understand your concerns about the changes that can occur after pregnancy, there is no accurate way of predicting exactly how the breasts will change after pregnancy and there is not much that can be done to avoid these changes ( if they are going to occur).  Maintaining a stable weight  (under the guidance of your OB/GYN) will be helpful in minimizing breast changes that occur secondary to significant weight fluctuations.

Some typical changes seen  after pregnancy include a decrease in size, “sagging" and/or the development of some asymmetry.  On the other hand, some women  experience very little change even after several pregnancies.

Ultimately, it will be your own personal choice whether to have breast lifting at an early age and enjoy the results for an unknown period of time or to  wait until you after you have completed your family.

Breast lift and then pregnancy

+1

There is not way to tell you how the breasts will respond to pregnancy. It really is variable.  You may want to wait for a lift until after that time.

Mastopexy before or after nursing.

+1

SEE VIDEO OF MASTOPEXY WITHOUT IMPLANTS (AFTER NURSING):

Just as you state " you never know what life will bring", we "never know what changes will occur"

Ultimately your breast appearance will be effected by your genetics, weight gain and loss, ability to lactate, size while lactating, preferred breast while lactating, episodes of mastitis, duration of lactation, number of children, hormone status,...... and the list goes on.

No one can predict the future. IF you have no immediate plans for children and do not like the appearance of your breasts, you may want to consider a lift.

Breast lift and future children

+1

Hi, it's so hard to predict what changes your breasts might undergo if you have children in the future after undergoing a breast lift. Your breasts will certainly enlarge during pregnancy, but they may not sag afterwards even if you breastfeed. On the other hand, some patients notice significant volume loss and drooping after having children. It really is unpredictable. A revision lift can be done in the future if needed however. Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Pregnancy after breast lift

+1

If you have naturally sagging breasts, a breast lift potentially can give you much fuller cleavage. It is very difficult to predict how your body (breasts and tummy) will change after pregnancy. But I would be prepared for a possible revision lift +/- augmentation after you are done having kids. If you choose to pursue a lift, remember, you will enjoy your results for awhile. Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

You may need a touch up breast lift after you have children.

+1

Hi!

If your breasts are really sagging, go ahead and have a breast lift. Sagging breasts make your body look inappropiately old.

But breasts do change in unpredictable ways after childbirth.  So you may well need a touch up in the future.  It is still a good idea.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Pregnancy after a breast lift

+1

This is one of the many crystal ball questions we can never answer unfortunately. All I can say though is that if you need a breast lift at 20 before children, you have relatively poor tissue elasticity and likely will need something done again after you're done having children, either an implant or a re-lift or both.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Pregnancy after breast lift

+1

What tends to happen with pregnancy is that the breasts get larger and then reduce back to the pre-pregnancy size after childbirth. If you are willing to chance the possibility that you may need a repeat breast lift after pregnancy then go ahead and do it now. If you don't want the possibility of a second breast lift then wait until after your pregancies are finished.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast appearance after a lift, then pregnancy

+1

You answered your OWN question ; "you never know what life will bring".

If your breasts do not go up in volume with pregnancy (unlikely) OR if they shrink nicely to their pre-pregnancy size and location (HIGHLY unlikely) -- then having a Breast Lift (Mastopexy) will be be affected by a pregnancy.

But -- if we play the odds -- chances are that a pregnancy will stretch your breast skin, change the volume of your breasts and bring about droopiness / ptosis of the breasts.

If you CAN wait -- please do. If not, go into this with your eyes opened.

Pregnancy and breast lift

+1

Hi,

The truth is, it's hard to know what will happen to your breasts with pregnancy. In some women, the breasts become very saggy and the nipples and areolas become droopy. In other, the changes are fairly minimal.

If you're amenable to possibly needing repeat surgery after pregnancy, there's nothing precluding you from having surgery now. A breast lift does have potential consequences on breast feeding and breast/nipple sensitivity, and it's important you know this before proceeding. Depending on the amount of droopiness you presently have, and your current breast volume, you could also benefit from breast implants.

Your best bet is an evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon for a thorough evaluation and discussion. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD