Deaths and Complications Likely During or After Breast Surgery?

I would like to get a breast reduction but I'm afraid about the whole thing. I've heard a lot of deaths or complications happen during or after breast surgery. Is this true? Can someone help me?

Risk of death from surgery

+2

The risk of death in a healthy individual is extremely rare for any elective cosmetic surgery.  As long as you have a clean bill of health it is unlikely for you to have this problem develop.

Risk of complications with breast surgery

+1

I am not sure from where you are getting your reports but breast surgery is not any more risky than any other surgery.

Probably the most important factor is your overall health. Discuss your concerns with your primary care physician, your surgeon and anesthesiologist.

If you are in good health, it is my impression that your overall risk of death would be in the range of 1:200,000 which is far less than the risk you take when you get into a car each day.

Breast reduction extremely safe.

+1

Hi.

You can have a complication after breast reduction, but it would be just a local problem, like a wound infection.  Your chances of dying are less than crossing the street..

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.