Typical Volume After Breast Reduction?

I am having a breast reduction in 6 weeks. What is the typical breast volume remaining once the procedure is finished? I'm currently 141 lbs, 5"3" and wear a 34DDD (on a medium frame).

Breast reduction and final size.

+4

You should discuss this with your surgeon. Sizes can vary tremendously. The size of the resulting breast will depend on the agressiveness of the procedure. However, agressiveness comes at a cost. The more you reduce a breast, the more you risk compromising the blood supply to the skin and nipple.

Breast Size After Breast Reduction?

+1

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.
Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Final size after reduction

+1

For women with extremely large breasts, I try to bring down the volume so that they fit a "C" or even  a "D" cup. Remember, in order for the skin flaps to heal adequately and the pedicle of tissue that supports the nipple and areola to survieve as well, they need to have a certain volume of tissue attached to maintain the blood supply.

Good to aim for a C cup after breast reduction.

+1

Hi

There is no typical volume left after breast reduction.  It depends on what you want.  In New York City, most women choose a C cup, but some choose a B, and others pick a D.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast size after Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

This is a very good question and one that is often asked. The key to any breast reduction is for the surgeon and the patient to discuss the patient's goals, the patient's anatomy, and what the surgeon feels he can safely create. The goal is not to remove a certain amount of tissue or to achieve a certain cup size, but rather to reduce the size of the breasts in an effort to alleviate the upper back and neck symptoms, while still creating an aesthetically pleasing shape to the breasts that is in keeping with the patient's overall body habitus or frame. Our goal is to do all of this safely with no healing problems.

Good communication is the key to achieving these results, and it is important for the patient and surgeon to keep the lines of communication open, both before and surgery but also after. As surgeons, we want all of our patients to get the best results possible, so I tell patients to feel free to let us know your thoughts and concerns early, so that we can take care of you in the absolute best way possible!

Good luck!

Dr. S

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Size after breast reduction surgery

+1

The amount of tissue removed in each breast reduction case will vary depending on your specific body type and breast size/shape. The goal of breast reduction is to give you a smaller, more proportionate breast size while providing you with lifted and better shaped breasts. This will help alleviate any back and neck pain caused by excessively heavy and pendulous breasts. Also, it will help give you better posture and your clothing will fit better. Cup size is extremely inaccurate and how much tissue is removed will not be known until it is weighed after it is removed. Your happiness should be based on relief of your symptoms and having a more proportionate size and breast reduction surgery will provide both of those to you as long as you are a good candidate. Make sure you discuss your goals and expectations with your surgeon so you are both on the same path. Look at your surgeon's before and after photos and speak with some patients to get a better understanding of what to expect. Good luck.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Breast volume after reduction

+1

Dear Becky

One thing I never do is tell a patient how much tissue I will remove nor how much will remain. I also will not say exactly what size they will be after reduction. The goal is to reduce the breast enough to remove symptoms and give the breast an aesthetically pleasing appearance and have it be proportional to the body habitus. Most women can go down to at least a mid to full C and still look very proportional. A good deal of how much to remove and the final shape depends upon skin quality and quantity, type of breast tissue and initial volume.

Good luck on your procedure. Breast reduction patients tend to be the happiest post op patients of all!

Steven Schuster MD FACS

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

No typical breast volume left after breast reduction is finished

+1

There is NO "typical breast volume after breast reduction." Instead, there is a range from the high B's to the low D's. It all depends on what your preoperative volume, the insurance requirement for volume removal and the way your frame appears which would guide your surgeon in how much to remove.

For the most part, you would PROBABLY end up with a full C cup.

Good Luck.

No Typical

+1

The amount removed, and therefore the amount left depends on initial size of the breasts, and the desired endpoint. This will vary widely from individual to individual. You should discuss you goals carefully with your surgeon, and be sure you both understand them to be the same. It is terrible to go through an operation, have a great result, and you not be happy with it.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

There is no typical residual volume

+1

What remains after a breast reduction is hopefully what you will be happy with. This is dependent on size, shape, position, weight, and consistency of the remaining breast. Most women are concerned with relief of discomfort that translates into a certain amount of reduction in weight of the breast but is also dependent on the support and position of the breast on the chest. But they are often just as interested in an attractive breast and that varies from patient to patient. Make sure you and your surgeon see things similarly and that you and he are as specific as posssible as to what your goals are.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD