How to Convince Parent That Breast Reduction is Needed

I'm 15 years old and have 34DD breasts--almost DDD. I'm thinking about getting a breast reduction done. I have read a lot in websites about getting it done and I can tell that I am a good candidate for it.

I have neck, back, breathing, and posture problems and more. However, I'm trying to get my mom, who is also a DD, to say yes and let me have it done. What all would I have to do before I get it done, like talking to my doctor-wise? How would I get my doctor to convince my mom that I need this?

Breast Reduction for Teenagers

+1

It sounds like you are doing a good job with your homework researching breast reduction. You might want to get your mom involved in the research as well. At least this will help you understand what her concerns are and may answer some of them. You should probably wait until your breast size is stable for six months to a year before having any surgery and this happens at different ages for different individuals. I have done a few breast reductions on teens about your age with very good results and very happy patients. You should be aware that there will be permanent scars and you will probably not be able to breast feed your children. You and your mom should talk with your doctor about a referral to a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and then have a consultation with him or her to continue your research. Good luck to you.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for Teenager?

+1

It sounds like  you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy; in other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.
  Ask your mother to join you in the consultation.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Breast reduction at 15

+1

First, you  may be a bit young to have this done.  You should wait until you have stopped growing and you are having regular menses. But you should have a discussion with your parent and explain your concerns and ask her to go with you for  a consult.

Wait till you are 18 for breast reduction.

+1

Hi.

Of course you need a breast reduction, and I can imagine how bad you feel (physically and psychologically).  But wait until your breasts have stopped growing, so you only have to have one operation.

Convincing parents to allow breast reduction

+1

Your best bet is to do your research. You can go to the American Society of Plastic Surgery site and get information about breast reduction. Then convince your parents to come with you to see a plastic surgeon. the plastic surgeon should be able to determine if you are an appropriate candidate and show you and your parents pictures of other patients.

Patients are extremely happy with the results from breast reduction surgery and most say they should have had it done sooner.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction in Teens

+1

From your description, you seem to be a good candidate for a breast reduction.  You should discuss this with your mom and your family doctor or pediatrician.  If your doctor feels that you would benefit and are mature enough to undergo the operation, perhaps he/she can convince your parents.

Selling mom on a breast reduction

+1

Very difficult question to help you with. First, maybe Mom does not want you to get surgery yet. So there is no way any boarded Plastic Surgeon can change that.

Second, if you can get Mom to go to a consult, ask if another youngish post operative reduction patient could be there. So Mom can see the result, LIVE. That is hard to do but it is possible.

Third, Mom maybe does not want you to have scars on your young breasts -- again not much we can do. Generally, this is a work in progress.

Or wait til you are 18 years old then try again.

Sorry, I could not be of better help.

Regards and good luck.

Breast reductions for 15 year-old patient

+1

It sounds like you are a good candidate for a breast reduction as long a you have stopped growing and are physically and psychologically healthy. You are not yet an adult and cannot sign for a reduction without your parents consent until you reach 18.

Ask your mom to go to some consultations with you and see how she responds. Maybe she will get on board and even have one herself.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.