Breast Size After a Reduction of 500cc?

I'm getting a breast reduction and the doctor is taking 500cc out of each breast. I am currently a 38DD, what will be my new size?

Breast size after 500cc breast reduction

+2

Dear DB,

A cubic centimeter, cc(or milliliter) is a measure of volume not of weight.
1cc of water = 1 gram
500 cc of water weigh 500 grams.

Currently the bare MINIMUM breast removal most insurance companies require before they would pay for a breast reduction is of 500 grams per side. That may not mean much in a 6'2" 210 pound woman but will mean a LOT in a 5'6" 135 pound woman. Other companies have instituted the SCHNUR scale which related breast weight removal to your height and weight (or body surface area). A more fair way to decide how much should be removed.

Bra cup sizes are NOT based on cc's. Moreover, as most women know, the cup size of one manufacturer does NOT always match that of another. In other words a C is not always a C.

Talking in cup sizes is notoriously inaccurate and is the reason most of us prefer not to guess.

But in your case, removal of 500 can end up with either C cup or full B cups - again - not a very accurate estimate.

Good Luck.

Breast Reduction and Resulting Cup Size?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery. It is one of the most patient pleasing operations we performed. 

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

500 gram reduction

+1

A 500 gram reduction really depends upon your body habitus. It is hard to predict what you would have as a final cup size without examining you.  You may go down 1 or 2 cups.

Size after breast reduction

+1

Thanks for the question -

As you've heard (read) by many of the other plastic surgeons. It is difficult to predict final breast size after any breast procedure, especially when talking in terms of cup sizes. Part of this is because "cup size" is an inaccurate measurement.

Bra manufacturers are all over the map. You may have noticed this yourself. A "C" cup in one manufacturer may be a "D" cup in others.

Breast reductions are designed to reduce the weight of your breasts to relieve symptoms (the point of insurance covering the procedure).

Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Good luck!

Steven H. Williams, MD

Breast Reduction and Size

+1

I would go about your breast reduction surgery a different route. I would first figure out how much needs to be reduced to get you to the size you want to be not vice versa. Second, it is not true that you need 500 grams per side. The insurance companies do not go about it by grams only. It entirely depends on how tall you are and how much you weigh. It is the BSA (body surface area) the determines the minimum of breast tissue required. I have had patients get approved for 300 gram reduction per side and I have had patients not get approved for 650 gram reduction per side. It just depends on your BSA and a chart that is used.

So the question is not how big will you be after 500 gram reduction, because it is almost impossible to tell you that without seeing you, but to ask what bra size would make you comfortable in your daily life.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Cup size after breast reduction surgery

+1

Wanting to know your cup size after breast reduction surgery is a very important and common question. However, the cc's or grams removed do not equate in any accurate way to cup size. This is because each bra designer/manufacturer can have a different fit and also each patient may like a different fitting bra. So, you can walk into two different stores and buy different cup sized bras which fit you the same. There is no consistency in bra manufacturing. Therefore, it is difficult to give you an accurate estimate before surgery. The one thing that is consistent is that you will be more proportionate after surgery and your breast shape will be better and lifted along with helping you get relief from back and neck pain. Proportionality is key. Breast reduction patients are the happiest patients as they get both relief of pain symptoms and a better look. The important thing to take away is that you should not base your happiness on the letter of the cup size - as it can be different in different stores - but rather base your happiness on having a proportionate breast size after surgery. Be careful of any "false" promises on postop cup size just to make you happy before surgery.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

We cannot predict or promise a cup size

+1

The amount that will be removed from a woman's breast with reduction and the resulting cup or bra size will vary. It will vary between bra manufacturers which can make it even more confusing. 500 grams removed from one woman's breast will not yield the same result between women. Your plastic surgeon who has examined you will be the one best to give you an idea of an approximate bra size to expect after your surgery. Best of luck.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Amount of breast reduction and cup size.

+1

Hi!

It's hard to tell without examining you, but according to standard formulas, removing 500 grams from each breast during breast reduction would make you too small.  You would probably go from a 38DD to a small B cup or less.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Size after Breast Reduction

+1

First of all it is impossible to correctly tell a patient what size they will be afetr breast reduction. You can get a general idea but nothing precise. I give the patient the options of small, medium and large.

Second, 500 grams off of a patient who weighs 300 lbs will make only a small difference in brest size. 500 grams off a patient who weighs 110 lbs will make a drastic difference in size. So.. it depends on your total size also.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Size after reduction

+1

Dear DB

When doing a breast reduction I NEVER promise a patient how much I will remove or what size they will be in the end. A patient can tell me what size they would like to be but this depends on many factors, most importantly how does the breast look. Many people consider 500 gms as the amount needed for insurance but this number varies with your height and weight. In some patients 1000gm reduction is needed to get it covered by insurance. Speak to your plastic surgeon so you both know what you are trying to achieve and go from there. Remember, it's not how much you take out, its what you leave in that matters!
Steven Schuster MD FACS

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon