Second Breast Reduction for 34DD Breasts?

I had a breast reduction 8 years ago (I was a size 34G), I went down to a 34C. Over the course of the years, for some unexplained reason, my breasts are now a size 34DD. I'm getting the pain and indentions in my shoulders again. Would it be wise to seek another breast reduction? Also, I live in FL and wanted to know would this procedure be covered by HealthEase Insurance. Thanks.

Risks are increased in a second breast reduction procedure

+2

Hi Chrissy

There is a substantial increase in risks to a second breast reduction. It should therefore be limited to cases where other types of treatment have failed and the symptoms are causing functional limitations.

Assuming you were pleased with the result of your first procedure, the original surgeon would probably be the best person to perform the second operation. He would know exactly what technique was used the first time and be familiar with any idiosyncrasies or personal variations to a standard procedure. In absence of his or her availability, there is substantial value to having a copy of the original operative report. Information can be gleamed from the report to guide the second surgeon and help to plan the approach and technique for the procedure.

I hope this response provides some help and you are able to achieve relief from your symptoms. Best wishes and good luck to you.

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Repeat Breast Reduction?

+1

Based on your description you may be an excellent candidate for redo breast reduction surgery.

One of the concerns  when breast reduction is performed is related to blood flow to the remaining breast tissue; it is important to perform the operation in such a fashion that the blood flow to the nipple/areola/breast tissue is not compromised.   The  part of the tissue that is left in place  after breast reduction surgery is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola/ breast tissue. If the pedicle (that was used during the previous breast reduction procedure)  is cut  then the blood flow to tissues may be compromised leading to serious competitions such as tissue necrosis etc.

When repeat breast reduction surgery is performed it is important not to compromise the pedicle  that was developed in the previous breast reduction procedure.It may be helpful for you to find the previous surgeon's  operative report  prior to the redo surgery.

I hope this helps

34 dd breasts

+1

If you gained weight after your previous breast reduction, your breast may have grown a bit. There is a certain proportion of fatty tissue that makes up the breast. You certainly can have another reduction if needed.

34DD breasts great for breast reduction.

+1

Hi.

1. I don't know why your breasts grew again, but it doesn't matter.  It sounds like you should have another breast reduction, which is safe.
  2. Concerning insurance coverage, I wrote an article for RealSelf, which you can read at the bottom of my profile.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Repeat breast reduction

+1

It is extremely rare to need to repeat a breast reduction. Have you gained weight since your first surgery? If so, I would suggest losing weight first and seeing if your size doesn't shrink back down. If it isn't a weight issue, it is technically possible to reopen the scars and revise them and re-reduce the tissue.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Repeat breast reduction

+1

It is certainly possible to redo a breast reduction but you should try to get the operative report from your first sugery since some techniques of reduction can jeopardize the viability of your nipple if performed after a reduction using a different technique. It has to do with the remaining blood supply toyour nipple that might have been altered by the previous reduction.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Secondary Breast Reduction

+1

On rare occasion, I have had to repeat a second breast reduction in similar circumstances (multiple years after the initial reduction).

Once key concern is the neurovascular supply to the nipple. This can be compromised in a secondary procedure and lead to loss, partial or complete, of the nipple and areola. It is in your best interest to provide your current surgeon with copies of your initial operative report to minimize this risk.

One possibility is the use of liposuction if your nipples are satsifactorily located on your breast mound. This may be an option you should consider.