Candidate for Second Breast Reduction?

I had a breast reduction from a E cup to a D cup when I was 17. I have always considered small breasts beautiful and would like to be an A or a B cup. If paid for myself (no insurance; cosmetic), would I be a candidate for another breast redction surgery?

Secondary breast reduction patients typically very happy

In my experience, patients who undergo a secondary breast reduction are invariably happy with the results. Because you have been able to assess the results of your first surgery critically, you will be much better equipped to voice your desires to your surgeon beforew this second operation and are likely to achieve the results you desire.

A second breast reduction is possible

Breast reduction is a balance between volume, shape, and nipple position, and breast projection. It also must consider sensation of breast skin and nipple, and acceptability of scars which might be introduced. In order to succeed with the best or most attractive breast shape a small D cup is the typical result, though sometimes a C or perhaps a full B can be achieved. We too think an A or a B cup can be very attractive, however when the natural breast is full such as a DDD or E cup the breast skin or envelope will not adapt to the very small cup size because of the excess skin, and the limitation imposed in maintaining good circulation within the nipple, preserving central projection, and keeping the scar an acceptable length and adequately concealed.

Breast reduction can be performed for some a second time though it does take a good bit of judgment as the circulation to the nipple can be unpredictable, and the shaping and tailoring of the skin takes careful planning. We have had insurance coverage for some of our patients completing reduction for a second time so it is worth while to submit a request for predetermination. Certainly an A or a B can be beautiful, though so too can a C cup.

Secondary breast reduction works.

Secondary breast reduction is safe and effective with good technique and attention to the previous surgery.  Aiming for a B cup is very realistic.  I am reluctant to make a woman too, too small, but there is an occasional patient who really says "I never want to wear a bra again."

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Second Reduction Is Possible and Safe

Breast reduction surgery is associated with excellent clinical results and high levels of patient satisfaction.Despite this, patients ocassionally request secondary breast reduction surgery.This occurs for a variety of reasons including fluctuations in weight and rarely breast re-growth.Ocassionally, patients who undergo breast reduction want even smaller breasts.
Under these circumstances, secondary breast reduction can be performed safely with good results. It’s important that the surgeon review the patients operative reports.An understanding of the previous technique will help avoid damage to the blood supply to the nipple areola complex.When this approach is taken results are excellent and patient satisfaction rates are high as well.
If you’re considering secondary breast reduction surgery, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon is appropriate.This surgeon can formulate a treatment plan that addresses your anatomic findings and achieves your aesthetic goals.

Secondary Breast Reduction Candidate

Secondary Breast Reduction Surgery is successful in most patients.
Without an exam or photos - full frontal, oblique and side views it is impossible to give you specific advice. However, there are many ways to reduce a breast further, most of which do not require additional scars and include liposuction and/or short scar techniques. See a board certified plastic surgeon with lots of experience in secondary breast reduction surgery.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast Reduction Surgery a second time

Yes, if you still are uncomfortable with the size of your breasts, you can undergo another breast reduction procedure.  Please make sure that your surgeon who will be performing your 2nd breast reduction knows what was performed the first time around (technique) so as to minimize potential risks and complications as much as possible.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with this procedure... see results... ask questions.  I ask patients to bring me photos of what they want to achieve so that I can discuss realistic goals with them.

Second breast reduction

While it certainly is an option to perform a secondary breast reduction, and I have done it for some people on occasion, it is certainly more risky. There is definitely an increased risk of healing problems and nipple loss. Also to reduce someone to an A or B cup is not realistic in most cases, especialy to the A cup.

Second breast reductions

Repeating a breast reduction as a rare procedure but it can be done.  To get down to an A or B cup might not be possible however without sacrificing shape and blood flow that is needed to preserve viability of the nipple and areola.

Secondary Breast Reduction Surgery

Yes, secondary breast reduction surgery is a real possibility for you. With you pictures or examining you, it is hard to give specific advice. However, it is possible to have a re-reduction and, in most cases, the same incisions as your original surgery are used. If you are able to find the operative report from your original surgery, it would be helpful for your surgeon when performing the secondary surgery. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Breast Reduction Redo

It is very feasible.  It is nice to have the previous operative report, but it is not always possible.  It is not uncommon after a prolonged period of time to desire to have a redo breast reduction.  It can be done and can be done safely.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD