Does Combining Breast Reduction and Liposuction Cost Less?

If insurance covers a breast reduction, and should I want to have liposuction done also, will it cost me less to get these all done at the same time?

Combining Liposuction and Breast Reduction to Reduce Costs

+2

In most cases, there is a small cost-savings to combining procedures. However, insurance companies are not dumb and hospitals are not either. If you are having the procedure which is covered by insurance, they are going to only pay for that portion of the procedure and that portion of the hospital fees and that portion of the anesthesia fees. You would be responsible for the rest. Also, there is a misconception that if the insurance company "covers" a procedure, that they are paying the doctor his usual fees. In most cases the insurance company is paying just pennies on the dollar for what the doctor would charge for a non-insured case. This is why most plastic surgeons do not take insurance - because they actually loose money by doing insurance-covered cases. I hope this is helpful and good luck with your procedure.

Combined surgery procedures

+1
If you have liposuction performed at the same time as a breast reduction, it is usually somewhat less expensive that if you do the procedures separately in two different operations.  Discuss your options with a plastic surgeon who is an expert in both fields. 

David Stoker, MD

Breast Reduction/ Liposuction Combination and Costs?

+1

Generally speaking,  you may find that combination procedures do cost less than doing the procedures separately.

Breast reduction and liposuction

+1

I assume you are talking about having liposuctin on other parts of the body.  Many surgeons will discount secondary procedures for patients since they are already in the operating room performing the primary procedure. But, you probably will have an additional facility fee as well.

Will I save money by combining procedures?

+1

Hi there,

Because it is much less expensive to spend a bit more time in the operating room than it is to return to it at a later time (one set of supplies, less general demand on resources...), and because the surgeon's time is also utilized more efficiently, in most practices you would indeed save a fair amount of money by combining two procedures. When you also consider the amount of your own time you will save by having to go through only one recovery period, the financial incentives to combining the procedures can be significant.

Of course, this is only worth doing if combining the procedures is something that would be safe for you, and would therefore depend on your overall health, the procedures in question, and the details of the procedures (type of anesthesia, length of surgery, surgeon's experience combining them, etc...).

Here's a bit more about choosing a surgeon:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Combining breast reduction and liposuction costs a little less.

+1

Hi.

Combinig two procedures such as breast reduction and liposuction is a more efficient use of the surgeon's time and of the operating room.  So you should save 10% or 20%.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Weigh financial and safety issues

+1

Insurance will cover procedures which are deemed medically necessary. Liposuction is not one of those. It is possible to combine both procedures in a reconstructive-cosmetic combo case. Obviously it would be a benefit to have one anesthetic and recovery period, however it is important not to loose sight of your objective, namely a lighter more proportionate breast. If patients request liposuction of an adjacent area such as the lateral chest roll or axillary breast, I'll agree. On the other hand, there are potential dangers of having a prolonged anesthetic as well as the fluid shifts involved in high volume liposuction. Moreover, some hospitals do better with reconstruction and charge higher rates for cosmetic procedures. So discus all angles with your physician. Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Combining Breast Reduction and Liposuction Saves Money and Recovery Time

+1

Combining procedures including Breast Reduction and Liposuction saves both money and recovery time.

1. The operating room costs are generally less on the second procedure so this saves $400-$500.

2. You recover once instead of twice. Adding liposuction does not add time to the recovery from breast reduction. So you save about 10 days of recovery time over separating the procedures into two surgeries. Since time is money for most of us, this is also very important.

I often perform these procedures together if a patient does not smoke and is in good health. If the patient has any heart or lung problems I will send them to be thoroughly checked by their medical doctor before going ahead with surgery

David L. Mobley, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Combining Breast Reduction & Liposuction

+1

Economic benefits vary when combining procedures.  At the facility where I operate, the liposuction would be considered a secondary procedure and would be discounted.  If this is important to you, you might want to check on different surgeon's policies.

John Whitt, MD