Is 200 Grams of Fat in Breast Reduction a Large Amount?

My insurance company will not approve my breast reduction unless the surgeon takes 850 grams of fat. My surgeon has recommended 650 grams. Is the extra 200 grams too much?

200 grams for Breast Reduction

+2

This is one surgery that really gets me going. There is nothing more aggravating than having some pencil pusher tell me how I have to do my surgery. Breast reduction is just this surgery. By setting an arbitrary amount of breast volume to be removed only to, in the end, make the stock holders happy is outrageous.

Get your surgery done in the best cosmetic way possible. Your insurance company will raise their excision amount more and more just so they don't have to pay for it. You're lucky they'll pay anything. I know money is often the issue but never compromise the appearance for the rest of your life for the sake of some over paid insurance company.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

850 grams is a lot for most people

+2

The difference between 650 and 850 grams all depends on the body shape and breast size you start with. If you have a small frame and your breasts are large, but not enormous, then going up to 850 grams could make a big difference in how you look. However, if your frame is bigger and your breasts are very large, then it may be ok.

One option you may have (depending on your insurance company) is to pay for the procedure out-of-pocket initially, and if the surgeon takes off sufficient weight, then bill your insurance company retroactively.

Good luck. I hate insurance companies!

Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction And Insurance Company Requirements?

+1

200 g of breast tissue can make a difference with your level of satisfaction ( regarding breast size)  after breast reduction surgery. In my opinion, this  potential dissatisfaction is not worth the risk. You will be better off finding a way to self finance a procedure or find another insurance company (with different policy).

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Breast reduction and weight of tissue removed

+1

Although 200 grams of tissue is not a large amount in a breast reduction, the amount or weight of tissue should not be dictated by the insurance company.  Forcing your doctor to remove a greater amount could compromise your result or even result in wound healing problems such as nipple loss.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Don't go too small with breast reduction just to meet insurance requirement.

+1

Hi.

I would not do it.  Taking an extra two hundred grams of tissue during breast reduction can make your breasts too small, and you will not be happy. 

Breast reduction volume

+1

Breast reduction volume can vary a great deal.  While 200 gms may be a 'spit in the bucket" for very larger breasted women, in others it may be all that they have. It would be hard to tell without examining you first.  Taking out too much may make your breasts look too small.

Breast Reduction

+1

It is very difficult to say if 200 makes that much of a difference. It all depends on how much your start with. I can say that 850 grams is a very big reduction to begin with so if you have a lot of breast tissue the 200 may not be that much.

However, as the other doctors mentioned, there is no guarantee as to how much breast tissue needs to be removed. We can only estimate the amount, and if it fall just below the required amount some insurance companies will not cover it.

So, if there is ever an issue then the recommendation is to turn the case into a cash account.

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com/orange-county-breastreduction-women-newport-beach.php

200 grams is not too much for breast reduction

+1

Removal of 200 grams of fat on its own is not too much, but going from 600 to 800 grams can make a definite difference to the appearance of your breasts after surgery. This cannot be determined by an em but only by examing you in person and also determine how large or small you want to be after surgery.

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Amount for breast reduction

+1

Dear Philly

One thing I never do is guarantee how much tissue I will remove in a breast reduction. My concern is the overall shape and appearance of the breast. The amount of breast tissue needed to be removed is based on height and weight. If all you are concerned with is the insurance covering the reduction then advise your surgeon that this is your concern and you are willing to accept smaller breasts as long as they are covered, but as always, be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Good luck on your surgery

Steven Schuster MD FACS

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction weight

+1

The best way to determine what the additional weight of 200 grams would do is to go back to your plastic surgeon and have him show you something like 400 cc breast implants. That will give you some idea as to what a total of 800 grams would remove.

The difference that 200 grams would make will depend upon what amount opf breast tissue you are starting with.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon