Why Won't Doctors Accommodate D Cup to B Cup Breast Reduction?

I am a "D" cup and would like to be a "B" cup. Why won't most doctors accommodate this for breast reduction?

Breast reduction will easily get you from D cup to B cup.

+2

Hi.

I don't know who you have been talking to!  In Manhattan, going from a D cup to a B cup with breast reduction is one of the more common patterns we see.  Easy and safe.  We do the internal (Lejour ) technique, which produces good long term shape and leaves only a lollipop scar.

Breast reduction and breast size after surgery

+2

If the patient is planning on losing weight I always suggest that the patient lose weight before having surgery as the size and shape of the breast may change after surgery. When discussing final size of the breast after breast reduction two points most be taken into consideration. The first being the height, weight and frame of the patient. A small breast on a larger size patient would be out of proportion. The second being the amount of tissue needed to support a nipple.

When one is performing a breast reduction tissue is removed from around the breast. Removing too much tissue although giving a smaller size can compromise the blood supply to the nipple. A good examination should help determine what the breast size can be safely reduced to.

Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Size

+2

It is impossible to reliably determine breast cup size with a breast reduction. Breast cup size is very nonspecific and is related to the chest width and the breast size itself. As such we are unable to be reliable regarding what is a B, C or D cup during surgery. I give my patients 3 options; small, medium and large.

Small=take off as much as possible

Medium= appropriate for body build

Large= Take off enough to satisfy insurance but I want them lifted

In addition most breast reductions are done keeping the nipple attached to the breast tissue. The blood supply comes through the breast tisue so there needs to be enough tissue there to supply the blood. If you take out too much breast tissue you may loose the blood supply to the nipple and it would die. Under those circumstances the nipple would be removed and placed as a skin graft, a much less desirable result.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Cup sizing and breast reduction

+2

You can't guarante a cup size after any breast surgery. So, don't get hung up on that. The problem with trying to go too small with a reduction is with blood flow to the nipple and the overall cosmetic result. If to much is taken away, your nipple might die and if you are too small for your frame, you won't look good. Plus, the base width of the breast isn't changed by a reduction and this alone might prevent you from ever being a B.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

D to B cup reduction

+2

There is no intrinsic reason why this is not possible or advisable. You should ask your surgeon why this is not specifically recommended for you. I generally will listen to the patient and try to give them what they want along with the risks and pros and cons of the treatment necessary. Your surgeon should listen to your wishes.

D to B cup Breast reduction is possible

+2

Without a physical examination and review of your medical history I can't say why the surgeon you consulted with won't agree to reduce your breasts from a D to a B cup. If you are seeking insurance approval for this surgery they have specific standards for medical necessity which differ from each insurance company.

The standard requests from most insurance companies to receive medical necessity approval for breast reduction surgery includes the following:

1) Examination by a plastic surgeon with breast measurements and number of grams per breast to be removed.

2) Member has persistant symptoms of at least two anatomical areas (upper back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, headaches, kyphosis and/ or pain from bra straps cutting into shoulders) for at least 3 months to a year and documented by family physician and or gynecological physician.

3) Photographic documentation confirming severity of breast hypertrophy.

4) The number of grams to be removed correlates with the approved required amount using the Schnur Sliding Scale for breast reductions surgery. This scale uses your BSA (body surface area, which is calculated by your weight and height) to determinte the number of grams necessary for medically necessary approval.

Some insurance companies also reguire letters of support from your primary physician and or conservative treatment to address your symptoms for a minimum of 3 months or greater. Conservative treatment usually includes physical therapy, orthopedic treatment, chiropractic care, prescriptions for pain relief from your primary physician and sometimes massage treatment.

Best of luck with your pursuit for a breast reduction surgery.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

D-cup to B-cup Reduction

+2

There should not be a problem in having D-cup breasts reduced to a B-cup.  Perhaps the surgeons that you have seen were concerned that insurance companies would not cover the procedure or there may have been other issues (health concerns, etc.) which dissuaded them.

Who says they won't

+2

First of all - there are no standard sizes of breasts - no one knows exactly what a B is. I try to accomodate my patients and give them about the size they desire. If you don't like what your doctor says, get another opinion.

Breast reduction depends on your body type

+2

Though it is difficult to give you a straight answer without an exam, it is usually quite easy to give patients a B cup from a D cup. Perhaps your particular breast and chest wall shape prohibit such a reduction, but we are able to do that on most patients pretty easily. I would continue looking for doctors in your area.

Plastic Surgeons Define Cup Sizes Differently Than Breast Reduction Patients

+1

It’s not unusual for breast reduction patients to start out with D cups and end up with B cups.  This is a common scenario in most plastic surgery practices.
I suspect that the surgeons that you have seen, are reluctant to guarantee a cup size following breast reduction surgery for a variety of reasons.
It’s not unusual for cup size to be defined differently by different people.  Patients frequently know their bra size and confuse this with their actual breast size.  This can cause confusion because different bra manufacturers label their bra sizes differently.  This can make cup size discussions between surgeons and patients difficult.
The surgeon must also deal with patient safety issues.  Attempts to over reduce the breast can potentially damage the blood supply to the nipple areola complex and lead to an increased complication rate.  In addition, insurance carriers may have weight removal requirements as well, which may ultimately affect cup size.
For all these reasons, most surgeons are reluctant to make guarantees regarding cup size, and prefer discussing broader aesthetic goals.  These include shapely breasts with good contour that have proportion, balance and harmony with the surrounding structures.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.