Breast Reduction to a C Cup for Very Large Breasts?

I am having a Breast Reduction on the 31st of October. Though my doctor has assured me I can go for a C cup, I am just wondering if its possible. I am very anxious.

Breast Reduction and Resulting Cup Size?

+2

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.
Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  Most patients, like you, wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Breast reduction to a C cup for very large breasts?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, breast size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, incision, lift, use if implant, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative  planning and creating the most aesthetically-pleasing breast for you. 

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Reduction & Understanding Cup Size

+1

Your pictures indicate that you would definitely benefit from breast reduction surgery. This procedure would alleviate many of your symptoms and have long term health benefits as well.

The procedure would not only reduce your breast size, but also lift your breasts into a normal position.

Unfortunately, it’s difficult recommending a specific cup size for several reasons. Cup size tends to mean different things to different people and is a frequent source of confusion.  It’s more important to have breasts that fit your body then breasts of a specific size. In other words, your breast should have harmony, balance and proportion with the surrounding structures.

You’re definitely a good candidate for breast reduction surgery and many ultimately end up with C cups. It’s important that you consult a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss these issues in detail. This surgeon should be able to help you formulate a plan that’s appropriate for you.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction to a C cup

+1

It is possible to reduce your breasts to a C cup but I honestly think that the result will be too small for your frame.  You may be disappointed.  Your breasts should be kept in proportion to your the rest of your body.  Your symptoms can be relieved with the removal of less breast tissue.

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

+1

You look quite large in the photos. I usually tell patients of your size, that more likely you will be a large C or small D to improve the survival of the nipple and the skin flaps.

Breast reduction to C cup

+1

Yes, your breasts can definitely be reduced to a C cup.  Make sure that both you and your doctor have the same idea of what size you want since bra manufacturers vary widely in their sizing.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Your breasts can be reduced to a C cup

+1

Yes. Your breast could well be reduced to a "C cup" or a size more befitting your frame.  I think the surgery will transform your life for the better and making it much easier for you to enjoy activities that until now would have been out of the question for you.

Good Luck.

Breast reduction works for extremely large breasts.

+1

Hi!

How your breast reduction is done is absolutely critical.  I believe you need breast reduction with FREE NIPPLE GRAFTS.  You will lose nipple sensation, but it is the only safe way, and you can be a C cup.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Large breast reduction

+1

I can see why you would be anxious. I think your breast reduction is very challenging not only because of the magnitude of the reduction, but also the distance that the nipple must be moved. The longer the distance and the larger the volume reduction the more risk of limiting blood flow to the nipple. While it is certainly possible that your surgery can go well depending on the execution of the surgery, the technique chosen, and other risk factors you might have (i.e. smoking, diabetes, heart disease, blood disorders, etc.) other options and fallback treatment should be discussed.

One option would be to do your surgery in two stages with the first being liposuction if the breast has a large percentage of fat rather than gland. If it is predominantly glandular tissue, this is not possible. Your surgeon can then do a smaller reduction at a second surgery.

Anticipation of doing a nipple graft, or going straight to a nipple graft technique should be in the back of your surgeon's mind in case the nipple looks compromised at surgery.

Finally, I would look into the availabiltiy of hyperbaric oxygen therapy post-op if the nipple viability looks questionable. This can often nurse the breast tissues, and nipple in specific, through a period of uncertainty.

Good luck.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD