Breast Reduction Possible Despite Weight?

I'm considering a Breast Reduction next year in Spring 2010. I'm 5 ft tall and about 50 lbs. overweight. I have many problems regarding my large breasts: from rashes to neck pain and all. I have a 36 DD and want to go to a lower B size. What is your opinion? I thank you in advance for your answer.

Weight loss and breastreduction

+1

weight loss is a good idea to lower your surgical risk and reduce wound healing complications. Reductions can be done as early as 15 with parental consent, a proper medical clearance and breast growth that has stopped. Insurance coverage is a hit or miss depending on the carrier.  Usually having symptoms related to breast size is necessary for insurance coverage. Getting it covered though is very difficult. Insurance companies wont tell anyone how much tissue needs to be removed to qualify for coverage. Then if the surgeon is 1gram off they deny coverage after the fact. Insurance companies make money by denying coverage. For that reason most plastic surgeon will likely ask for payment up front.  Breast reductions are the most gratifying operations because years of neck, back and shoulder pain are gone within days.  The final size result depends on your starting size. If you start larger then you will likely end larger. It is not possible to choose a size with any real accuracy. The main reason is that the procedure removes breast tissue but leaves enough tissue to preserve the blood supply to the nipple and areola. Thus more tissue needs to be left behind to ensure nipple viability. The nipple and areola is constantly being accessed during the operation. See a board certified plastic surgeon for specifics on your treatment.

Tweet

Breast Reduction and Weight Loss?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Although the breast reduction surgery may help you at this point, if you are contemplating the weight loss then it would be in your best interest to have the breast surgery after you have  reached your long-term stable weight (If possible). This will improve your chances of achieving your goals and minimize the chances that revision surgery will be necessary afterwards.

Breast reduction good in overweight patients.

+1

Hi.

You sound like you should have a breast reduction right away.  You will feel better, you will look better, and it may give you new motivation to lose weight.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Reduction

+1

While you will have the best results if you loose weight before your surgery, it may actually be very helpful for you to have the surgery sooner.  If you have the breast reduction, you may be able to exercise more easily and loose even more weight than before the breast reduction.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Breast reduction when overweight isn't a good idea

+1

You will have a safer surgery, carry fewer risks, and have a better cosmetic result if you lose weight down to within 10-15 pounds of your ideal weight before having a breast reduction.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction if Overweight

+1

It really depends on your symptoms and the problems you are having. Women who have large breasts and are slightly overweight, have difficulty exercising because of their large breasts. These patients are good candidates for breast reduction as it will allow them to carry on their daily activities afterwards as well as be able to exercise.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Breast reduction

+1

If you feel you are overweight, you may want to lose some weight prior to a breast reduction. This will help minimize any complications such as infection, wound healing problems or blood clots if you go into the surgery at a lower weight. Losing some weight before surgery may also be reflected in your breast size, which may become smaller. To go from a DD bra cup to a B may be difficult in that the breast size may become slightly flattened in appearance; give some thought to becoming a C cup in order to maintain a nice breast shape.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your weight and to determine the best time to proceed with your breast reduction. A breast reduction procedure should most definitely improve your issues of neck pain and skin rashes.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Weight loss before breast reduction

+1

Some patients will tell me it is impossible to lose weight with the their breasts being large as it prevents them from exercising. Do realize that you can have a breast reduction at your current weight but if you lose weight after the surgery your breasts will most likely sag and have a deflated look. Although it is always a task losing weight I can't stress the importance of it ahead of time. Generally, the patients recover better as well.

Sharon Theresa McLaughlin MD
Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

Weight and body-contouring

+1

On what basis are you 50 pounds overweight? Look at your lifestyle and optimize your health as far as diet,exercise and activity level is concerned prior to any body-contouring procedure. A consultation with a plastic surgeon can put your breast size in context and guide you in the timing of your surgery.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Lose the weight first.

+1

Try to lose some weight first. You always tolerate surgery best when you are not over weight. You requre less anesthesia and usually have an easier recovery.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD