Breast Reduction of 500 Grams Too Much for Dd Cups?

I've had several spinal surgeries since I was 15. I'm 22 now and since I was in 6th grade I've had large breasts.

I'm 5'0, 125lbs, and a 36D-DD (depending on the bra maker, but more of a DD). My spinal surgeon as well as my pain management doctors recommend a reduction for me but taking out 500gms concerns me. I'd like to be a full C but I'm not sure if that will be possible?

Breast reduction

+2

Unfortunately, no one can give you a precise answer to your question.

It is however, very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I have found the use of pictures very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible ( although no system is 100% accurate).

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Breast reduction size

+2

The best way to get an idea of what the 500 grams is like is to look at breast implants. That will give you some idea as to what has to be removed. It is also impossible to predict cup size with a breast reduction. You should also know that regardless of size most patients are very happy they had their breast reduction both because the way they look and the way they feel.

If you are overly concerned have the surgeon take out what he thinks he should and if the insurance company does not pay, you pay.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

In Your Case, Removal of 500 Grams from Each Side Would Most Likely Result in a B or C Cup

+1
                        Patients often speak in terms of cup size. Unfortunately, cup size is not always helpful because manufacturers of bras label their products differently and women don’t wear their bras the same way. For many women, their bra size becomes their breast size even though they may not be directly related. For these reasons, discussions of cup size can often lead to confusion.

In your case, both your spine surgeon and pain specialist agree that a 500 gram reduction is necessary on each side to alleviate your symptoms. Under these circumstances, your options may be limited. Although you may ultimately be happy with your breast size, this type of situation may require compromises between relief of your symptoms and your aesthetic goals.

In your case, the removal of 500 grams on each side would most likely result in a B or C cup. Again, this depends upon each individual patient’s interpretation of cup size.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

500 gram breast reduction

+1
Not all patients who report having D cup breasts are created equal. It is important to see a board certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you and explain the implications of removing 500 grams, which is the baseline for many insurance companies. Generally, in young women, I will reduce them to B cups because it is unlikely that you will weigh at 30 or 35 what you weigh today. Too small a reduction will not be covered by insurance but may also, particularly with your history of back surgery, leave you with recurrence of symptoms. A full C reduction from the size you currently wear would be considered cosmetic by most insurers.

500 cc reduction

+1

A "D" cup are not all the same. A good physical exam will allow for a more accurate approximation of the relative volume that can be removed safely to provide you with a nice shaped breast. 

Breast reduction of 500 grams will make you small B cup.

+1

Hi.

I would not do it. I understand that you really want a breast reduction, and you probably cannot afford it without insurance. But you will be unhappy with tiny breasts.

You can have surgery in a teaching hospital done by residents under supervision for very little money. This is usually a safe option. In New York City, we train residents and fellows at Lenox Hill Hospital, and they do good work.

Breast reduction and volume of removal and cup size

+1

Not all D cup breasts are the same. In some this is due primarily to fat while in others it is due to gland. The latter is more dense and will weigh more for the same volume. Furthermore, the breasts can be shaped very differently. Frequently, women who have large breasts also have tissue that wraps around the chest to the back (bra strap roll) which can effect the overall appearance and volume of breast tissue removed. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon. He/she could easily modify and take out only 400. In any event this is just an estimate and is frequently adjusted intraoperatively. Of course, after surgery, you may fit into one brand's C cup while you fit into a different brand's D cup.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/reduction.html

500 gram breast reduction is a full pound

+1

At your height, taking 500 grams (about one pound) per side will most likely not leave you with "full C cup" breasts. You could have a "cosmetic" reduction and lift done and take enough weight off to improve symptoms but still have the breasts you want. It just probably won't be covered by insurance.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Breast Reduction of 500 grams for DD cups

+1

We get questions similar to yours frequently.

Inherent in your question is the very false implication that bra cup sizes standardized are just like any other volume unit - but they are NOT. As you well know some bras fit you better than others. Each manufacturer has different standards (IE volumes) in cup sizes AND some actually fib - there is a VERY well known underwear manufacturer out there whose D bras are actually C's in other lines (Nothing like puffing things up...but we digress).

The question before you SHOULD be : Do I want a Breast Reduction or a Breast Lift?

A breast Reduction is done to relieve shoulder, neck and back discomfort (but a breast lift is thrown in in the process). The relief of the pain is what the medical insurers pay for. If your goal is a slight breast tissue removal and mainly a Breast Lift, you are asking for and should pay for -- a Mastopexy (breast Lift).

I suspect that if indeed you do have very large breasts (D or DD) - 500 gm should not be disabling and could still give you the range of a breast that C cup bras accommodate. The fact that BOTH your pain doctors and spine doctor ate advising you to do it tells us that you REALLY SHOULD. A Breast Reduction will have a HUGE improvement in your quality of life, mobility, exercise etc. BUT - there is NO SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE WAY to predict post-op bra cup sizes and although unlikely, you may end up with a smaller breast yet.

See a Plastic surgeon member of the American Society of Plastic Surgery (www.PlasticSurgery.org). You will not regret it.

Good Luck.

500 gram reduction may make you smaller than a full C-cup

+1

Hi,

It's hard to answer your question completely accurately. If you are truly a DD cup, a 500 gram reduction will likely place you somewhere in the C cup range; if you're closer to a D cup, you'll end up even smaller.

That being said, you'll probably derive significant benefit from reduction mammaplasty. If you're only 22, and having such significant problems with pain, breast reduction will likely make a huge difference in the quality of your life. It's hard to know without seeing pictures or examining you, but it's highly probable that you'll get a nice shape and lift to your breasts with a reduction.

Your best bet is consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck!

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.