Breast Reconstruction After MRSA?

Will a surgeon do Breast Reconstruction after MRSA? I've had no flair ups for 3 years.

Breast Reconstruction after MRSA IInfection

+1

The simple answer is yes- it is certainly possible to have breast reconstruction after a MRSA infection.

In my practice, I always use preoperative antibiotics to help prevent infection-in the case os women who have had MRSA before, I choose an antibiotic effective against MRSA in case they are still carriers of MRSA on their skin or mucous mambranes. We all have lots of bacteria on our skin, and carrying MRSA does not mean someone is more likely to get an infection, it just means that different antibiotics are effective against MRSA as opposed to non-MRSA  bactera.

Web reference: http://www.davidgreenspunmd.com

Breast recontstruction aferr MRSA

+1

At three years, frankly at 3 months you could hae breast reconstruction following an infection with MRSA or most other baacteria.

Breast Reconstruction After MRSA infection

+1

The answer is yes.  You have two options for delayed reconstruction: implant-based vs. autologous.  If you have not been radiated, you could consider implant-based reconstruction.  I would likely recommend getting your infectious disease doc on board before surgery.   If you have been radiated, I would recommend a tissue reconstruction option.   If you had a MRSA infection withimplants before, I would likely guide you to a tissue only reconstruction without implants if it were an option for you (such as a TRAM or DIEP free flap).  So you definitely have options. Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Web reference: http://www.breastreconstructionhouston.com

Breast Reconstruction and MRSA

+1

The short answer is YES. MRSA is simply a type of staph bacteria. We all have bacteria on wour skin. You may actually still have the MRSA on your skin. It would be a good idea to see an infectious disease doctor and determine if you still have the MRSA on your skin(they will check your nose) and if so whether you should be treated before breast reconstruction.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Delayed breast reconstruction with a history of MRSA

+1

You should be congratulated on your courage. I had a lady who presented 3 years after having her mastectomy and failing an immediate tissue expander reconstruction with another surgeon. You may understand how angry, nervous and hopeful she was. We spent three visits discussing what was done, what she perceived went wrong and what she wished to achieve. I requested that she consult an Infectious disease specialist after she disclosed that her invalid mother, for whom she was principal caretaker had a history of MRSA.

Based on history, the ID specialist cultured both her and her mother and diagnosed them as carriers of MRSA. He prescribed a course of antibiotics and repeated the nasal swab cultures, in anticipation of her surgery. I wish I could tell you that her reconstruction is complete and everything she desired. After this, she decided that she was not emotionally or psychologically ready to undertake delayed breast reconstruction. I fully agreed with her decision.

Yes. If reconstruction is important to you, get recommendations from ASPS and/or your PCP, interview various plastic surgeons and make sure they "hear and understand" your hopes and expectations. Good luck.