Breast Reconstruction Via Lipofilling After Lumpectomy?

Is it possible to restore a breast after a lumpectomy using lipofilling? I had a large amount of tissue removed from the top part of my breast. I don't want Breast implants, but would like to have breast asymmetry.

Lipofilling Lumpectomy Defects

+1

If you had a lumpectomy, then it is reasonable to assume that you had radiation to the area as well.  Because of this, the vascularity of the area is not as good as it should be, meaning that injected fat may have a hard time surviving in the area.  In these cases, you often need some rearrangement of the tissue internally along with an implant, or some type of flap to add more volume.

Barrington Plastic Surgeon

Lipofilling for breast lumpectomy defects

+1

Fat injections were strongly frowned upon several years ago because of concerns about mimicking breast cancer and clouding detection. There has been a resurgence in interest in recent years and many surgeons are doing this. The smaller the defect the better. A large defect may need a latissimus flap for example but this is much more surgery. Make sure you go to someone who has experience in all methods so you can sort out the best choice for you.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Breast reconstruction with fat injections.

+1

Hi.

1)  It all depends on the exact deformity.

2)  But fat injections can be a simple and safe way to reconstruct a localized breast deformity after lumpectomy.  It is so much less surgery than a flap.

Lipofilling for breast reconstruction

+1

Lipofilling has been the rage lately in the press and at the plastic surgery meetings.  In most cases for breast reconstruction, autologous tissue transfer as a free flap or pedicled flap are usually the best way to go.

Fat injection breast reconstruction after lumpectomy

+1

Fat injections are increasingly being used for breat reconstruction with acceptable results. There are some downsides associated with it including the probable need for multiple procedures. You can also have a muscle fat flap from the back and obviously implants.

It has been my experience that smaller defects respond well to injections depending on the amount of scar tissue present. Larger defects are more difficult to treat in this manner. You may also wish to consier a reductio on the opposite side to match the volume.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Fat injections to the breast

+1

This is an old idea that is getting a resurgence in interest. Post-lumpectomy partial defects are sometimes quite problematic. Depending on your specific situation, fat injection or flap reconstruction or attempts at rearrangement of existing breast tissue can be contemplated, They all have pros and cons that you need to discuss with your surgeon. Fat injections is highly controversial since there is unpredicatability of survival of the grafts and risks of cysts and lumps forming that may confuse cancer detection in the future, although some surgeons and radiologists dispute this. Approach this technique with caution and full information.