Risk of Getting Keloid Scars from Breast Lift?

I am interested in breast lift surgery. I'm wondering, will I have a high chance of having keloid scars on my breasts, seeing that both my C-sections had thick, bumpy scars?

Breast lift with keloid prone skin

+1

There is a risk of keloids with a breast lift.  I would advise you to pursue a short scar or vertical breast lift to reduce the odds of scarring.  In addition, I would recommend a plastic surgeon who is knowledgeable about scar revision and keloids. 

Breast Lifting Scars?

+1

Unfortunately, there is no good way to predict how a specific patient will scar after breast lifting surgery (unless they have abnormal scarring on the same part of the torso from previous surgery).  The nature of the previous C-section scar is not predictive. Factors such as  ethnicity, genetics, skin elasticity  and technical factors may come into play.

Most patients undergoing this procedure will accept scarring as long as their overall goals in regards to size, shape, contour and symmetry are met. 

Ultimately you will have to make an educated decision about the pros and cons of breast lift surgery before you proceed.

Hypertrophic or keloiod scars

+1

There is a big difference between keloids and hypertrophic scars.  If you are more porne to heypertrophic scars, you  may develop them with a lift but usually this can be managed.

Hypertrophic OR Keloid scars risk from breast lift

+1

The K Word is extremely abused - in common lingo every ugly scar is a "keloid". But - that is not always the case.

A scar is a permanent glue the body put up in an area of injury. A deep burn, a stroke, a heart attack, a gun shot wound and a surgical incision - ALL heal with a scar. The QUALITY of the scar and its presentation depend on the mechanism of injury, the location on (on in) the body, the amount of movement in the area, the way it was closed (or not), the ethnicity of the patient, was the wound infected etc.

The most common "ugly" scar which looks like a speed bump is actually a SCAR HYPERTROPHY - a more vigorous than normal laying down of scar material which NEVER overspills the boundaries of the injury or incision. On the other hand, a KELOID is an exaggerated, tumor-like scar response to an injury which DOES over spill the borders of the injury (as in keloid "cherries" hanging from the ears of women whose only trauma was an ear piercing).

"will I have a high chance of having keloid scars on my breasts, seeing that both my C-sections had thick, bumpy scars"? - NOT CLEAR. The appearance of a C-section scar depends on the way it was closed as much as your ethnicity. If it was not closed with care to avoid tension on the superficial skin edges - the result COULD BE scar hypertrophy. That means, that your breast lift scars could be better. But being that they are under more tension and move more than your C-section scar - they too may result with scar hypertrophy.

Sorry I could not give you a more definitive answer.

Breast Lift and Scars

+1

Everyone heals differently and every area on a persons body heals differently. So it is hard to draw conclusion based on your c-section area.

The key is to take good care of your scars, keep them out of the sun and treatment with products such as silicone tape or paper tape during the first year.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Scar appearance after breast lift

+1

Different people scar differently. Having thick bumpy scars after c-section does not necessarily mean you will have thick, obvious scars after breast lift surgery. Besides your body's own tendancies to scar, how the skin is handled and stictched during surgery may effect how nicely your scars heal. Plastic surgeons are specially trained to close incisions in ways to leave the most minimal scar possible. In short, there are alot of factors which will affect your scarring, but having the surgery done by a well trained plastic surgeon will help you get the best result possible and just having unattractive c-section scars does not mean you will have bad scarring everywhere.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and keloid scars

+1

The type of scars that can occur with a breaast lift will be unpredictable.  Ih you have had previous keloids (or more likely hypertrophic scars) you probably have a greater chance of having them with additional surgery. Unfortunately no one can tell you for certain.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift will leave scars

+1

A mastopexy (breast lift) will leave permanent scars. For most patients, the scars are flat and they are not a concern long-term. However, if you do get a keloid, it is very difficult to remove or treat. Other scars are good predictors of what you may heal like. If you have thick bumpy scars elsewhere, imagine those same scars on your breasts. For some women they are willing to trade a much better shape for the scars. For others, they choose not to have surgery at all. Speak to patients who have had this surgery and then make your own decision.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Scars can vary, even on the same person

+1

Although there is always a risk of developing thick scars after any operation, the chance with a breast lift is very low. How a scar heals often depends on the location on the body as well as the technique to close the skin. It is possible to develop a thick scar on your abdomen and heal an incision on your breast normally. There is no way to know for sure if you will develop hypertrophic (thick) scars or keloids. However, African-American, Hispanic and Asian skin types tend to have a higher risk.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS