Risk of Getting Keloid Scars from Breast Lift?

I am interested in breast lift surgery. I'm wondering, will I have a high chance of having keloid scars on my breasts, seeing that both my C-sections had thick, bumpy scars?

Breast Lift

There is no good way to predict scar after masteopexy surgery. If you have keloid scar on your body already from surgery or injury before then your risk of keloid scar is very high. Background factors such as ethnicity, genetics, skin elasticityand tension may contribute to the scar outcome. Surgical technique such as a short scar or vertical breast lift will decrease length of scar verse conventional T shape masteopexy. I would recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon who is meticulous and also perform a lot of masteopexy surgery to help your decision.

Breast Lifting Scars?

Unfortunately, there is no good way to predict how a specific patient will scar after breast lifting surgery (unless they have abnormal scarring on the same part of the torso from previous surgery).  The nature of the previous C-section scar is not predictive. Factors such as  ethnicity, genetics, skin elasticity  and technical factors may come into play.

Most patients undergoing this procedure will accept scarring as long as their overall goals in regards to size, shape, contour and symmetry are met. 

Ultimately you will have to make an educated decision about the pros and cons of breast lift surgery before you proceed.

Scar management for breast lift

Thank you for your question. Breast incisions can be managed using a multimodal approach:
1) Scar massage - starting as soon as the surgical dressings come off and the incisions are sealed
2) Silicone sheets or scar gels for about six months to year
3) Embrace - a tension reducing dressing for the first 2 months
4) Fractionated lasers to help blend the scar into the background - done as a series, starting about 4 weeks after surgery and repeated every four weeks for six months.
5) Sunscreen to prevent the scars from darkening
I would follow along with your plastic surgeon closely after surgery as you can also consider steroid injections at the first hint of hypertrophic scars.

There is no way to tell but there are ways to minimize your chances with best scar management. Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips in the links below.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast lift with keloid prone skin

There is a risk of keloids with a breast lift.  I would advise you to pursue a short scar or vertical breast lift to reduce the odds of scarring.  In addition, I would recommend a plastic surgeon who is knowledgeable about scar revision and keloids. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Hypertrophic or keloiod scars

There is a big difference between keloids and hypertrophic scars.  If you are more porne to heypertrophic scars, you  may develop them with a lift but usually this can be managed.

Hypertrophic OR Keloid scars risk from breast lift

The K Word is extremely abused - in common lingo every ugly scar is a "keloid". But - that is not always the case.

A scar is a permanent glue the body put up in an area of injury. A deep burn, a stroke, a heart attack, a gun shot wound and a surgical incision - ALL heal with a scar. The QUALITY of the scar and its presentation depend on the mechanism of injury, the location on (on in) the body, the amount of movement in the area, the way it was closed (or not), the ethnicity of the patient, was the wound infected etc.

The most common "ugly" scar which looks like a speed bump is actually a SCAR HYPERTROPHY - a more vigorous than normal laying down of scar material which NEVER overspills the boundaries of the injury or incision. On the other hand, a KELOID is an exaggerated, tumor-like scar response to an injury which DOES over spill the borders of the injury (as in keloid "cherries" hanging from the ears of women whose only trauma was an ear piercing).

"will I have a high chance of having keloid scars on my breasts, seeing that both my C-sections had thick, bumpy scars"? - NOT CLEAR. The appearance of a C-section scar depends on the way it was closed as much as your ethnicity. If it was not closed with care to avoid tension on the superficial skin edges - the result COULD BE scar hypertrophy. That means, that your breast lift scars could be better. But being that they are under more tension and move more than your C-section scar - they too may result with scar hypertrophy.

Sorry I could not give you a more definitive answer.

Breast Lift and Scars

Everyone heals differently and every area on a persons body heals differently. So it is hard to draw conclusion based on your c-section area.

The key is to take good care of your scars, keep them out of the sun and treatment with products such as silicone tape or paper tape during the first year.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Scar appearance after breast lift

Different people scar differently. Having thick bumpy scars after c-section does not necessarily mean you will have thick, obvious scars after breast lift surgery. Besides your body's own tendancies to scar, how the skin is handled and stictched during surgery may effect how nicely your scars heal. Plastic surgeons are specially trained to close incisions in ways to leave the most minimal scar possible. In short, there are alot of factors which will affect your scarring, but having the surgery done by a well trained plastic surgeon will help you get the best result possible and just having unattractive c-section scars does not mean you will have bad scarring everywhere.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and keloid scars

The type of scars that can occur with a breaast lift will be unpredictable.  Ih you have had previous keloids (or more likely hypertrophic scars) you probably have a greater chance of having them with additional surgery. Unfortunately no one can tell you for certain.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon