Agonizing over Decision for Breast Lift After Pregnancy

I am currently agonizing over whether to have a breast lift. I don't usually agonize over decisions.

I am 33 and have had two pregnancies. Prior to pregnancy I had beautiful, perky, naturally perfectly sized breasts. After pregnancy, my breasts have changed significantly, and while they are very different from the pre-preg, I am not horribly unhappy. My assessment is, a) they look excellent in a bra and in clothing, and  b) they look OK naked. Yet, something is making me consider the lift.  Help me weigh the benefit and need vs. cost and risks. The picture below is a crooked self-photo.

Breast lift options

+2

With any elective cosmetic procedure, I tell all my patients the same thing.  You need to be 100% committed to the operation, if you are not, do not have the procedure.  Maybe some time in the future you might change your mind, but for now, NO.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Agonizing over decision for breast lift after pregnancy

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question!  The mastopexy procedure raises the breast, which ultimately provides a more youthful and perky breasts. This is done by removing the extra loose skin and rearranging the surrounding breast tissue in order to reshape and support the newly formed breast. At the same time, the nipple-areolar complex (NAC) is raised to the ideal position above the fold beneath your breast (the inframammary fold) as well as being placed at the most projecting portion. Oftentimes with age or following pregnancy, the NAC becomes widened and enlarged. This may be reduced in size during the breast lift procedure.

It is common for the breast to lose its firmness and uplifted appearance over time, which is also accentuated with age, pregnancy/breast feeding, weight gain/loss, and gravity. This results in breast ptosis, or sagging of the breast, with a “deflated” appearance. Women seek the mastopexy procedure to regain the previous youthful appearance of her breasts and women report increased confidence, self-esteem, and femininity once achieving this desired shape and fullness. Breast lifts may or may not be performed with implants – the implant would add increased size but also greater fullness in the upper pole of the breasts which creates more cleavage.  I believe that a combination of an implant with a breast lift would be the ideal procedures for you given your photos as you do have some degree of ptosis (droop) already along with a deficiency of the upper pole of your breast.  Hope that this helps!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Timing for breast lift

+1

One of the questions I would ask "have you finished having babies"?
If the answer is yes, then you need to ask yourself if you would be comfortable  exchanging what you have for scars! It seems as though you are not really unhappy with your breasts as they are. Wait until you feel more decisive . You will know when the right time is. Trust your own feelings not those of others. It's your body. Good luck with the future.

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

To Breast Lift or Not?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

Based on your description,  your level of concern about the appearance of your breasts,  and a knowledge of the potential risks and complications associate with breast lift   I would suggest no breast lifting at this time.  if/when the time is right for breast lifting you will know it and it won't be an “agonizing” decision.

Breast lift

+1

If you are happy with your breasts then leave them alone. You could possibly benefit from a breast lift, but you have to want to have the surgery. 

Need to be motivated for breast lift.

+1

Hi.

You do have sagging, but I don't think you should have a breast lift now because you are not sure.  Put it off.  It is safe surgery, and the result can be really perky.  You need a lollipop scar, and women accept these scars very well because they love their new shape.  You just don't dislike your breasts enough to have surgery.  All surgery has a litle risk.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Agonizing over decision for Breast Lift after pregnancy

+1

Dear "Not Horribly Unhappy",

DO NOT DO IT.

A Breast Lift (Mastopexy) is a real operation with real benefits and equally real potential complications. If "they look excellent in a bra and in clothing, and..they look OK naked. " you really have no reason to surgically modify them.
Unless the appearance of your breasts REALLY bothers you, I would recommend you stop obsessing and agonizing over them.

Breast lift after 2 pregnancies-cannot decide

+1

I agree with Dr. Yuan. This is elective surgery and the decision is driven by you, the patient. It depends on how you feel about your breasts. If you want to restore them, the next step is to discuss with a plastic surgeon, who can outline the risks and benefits.; you will then decide if it is worth it to you. If you really dislike your breasts, the risks will be worth the improvement. If you are basically OK with them, then the risks will not be worth it to you. Anyone considering breast lift surgery should be aware that there are scars around the areola and usually a vertical scar and sometimes a horizonal scar in the crease. Recurrent ptosis is common and it is not unusual to need a "retightening" in a couple of years. For most people the scars are the main issue and is what prevents them from having the surgery. The scars do fade over time and become much less visible.

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Marginal breast ptosis

+1

You sound relatively satisfied with your breast but you come from a place of near perfection from how you describe your pre-partum breasts. The marginally sagging breasts are the most difficult to assess. Only you can decide how dissatisfied you are. The only thing a surgeon can do is describe various ways of getting you closer to what you desire. If you want you nipples higher, you will require an incision, and thus a scar, around the nipple. If you want to change the shape of the breast from sagging and boxy, to perky and round, you will also need a vertical incision, and scar.

Since scars are permanent, but shape is temporary, you might want to wait until you are not indecisive. Cosmetic surgery is unnecessary but desirable. You can afford to wait until it becomes really desirable. You also have to not regret a decision if you have a bad result meaning you should have a significant amount to gain for the risk you assume. Perhaps your mind is telling you you are not there yet.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD