How Many Days Before Breast Lift and Augmentation Recovery?

How many days will I need to recover after a breast lift and augmentation? I have a 6-month-old and would like to know if I will need more help. I will have help for a few days at least from my husband. She is a fairly small baby (under 15lbs).

Breast Augmenation Recovery

+2

You will be back to yourself in 3-5 days after surgery.  I ask my patients no heavy lifting, anything over the weight of a milk gallon is heavy, for the first 4 weeks.  After that you may go back to full activity and working out.

Good luck.

3 to 5 days recovery after a breast lift with implant

+2

There are many variables from patient to patient, however the typical patient in my practice is doing what I call "normal daily activities" after 3 days. If you have surgery on a Wednesday, most people would be back at an office job on Monday.

But remember, every patient and every procedure is different. It also depends on your post operative healing which can vary. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Strenuous physical excercise or jogging should be restricted for 2 weeks or more.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Recovery from Breast Augmentation/Lift

+2

As you have noticed from all the answers given there are variations amongst surgeons for their preferred waiting period before doing any heavy lifting. For a breast augmentation/lift surgeries you will typically feel good in about 3 days or so and be able to drive and return to desk or light duty type of work. Caring for a little child is a bit different. You can typically lift more than 10lbs after about 10-14 days. If you can time your surgery around holidays or some other extended period when your husband can help you out more, then you will not be stressed about caring for your baby. Also, some women have their mom's or other family members come to help them out for about a week or so. After the initial healing period you should be able to care for your baby without any assistance. Every surgery has a recovery period to allow appropriate healing so you can get the best outcome possible. The details always work out as long as you understand the surgery and the restrictions your surgeon recommends. Make sure you discuss your specific situation with your surgeon to get detailed listing of your activity restrictions right after surgery. You will return to your "mom" duties sooner than you think.

Bahram Ghaderi, MD

Most activities are okay 2 to 4 weeks after breast lift and augmentation

+2

As I am sure you can guess, every patient is different and different surgeons have varying activity schedules. In general, within 2 weeks, light aerobic activity can start and progress on into 4 weeks, where typically most activities can be safely undertaken. Child care for a 15 pound infant should not be restricted beyond days to a week if healing is progressing normally.

Hope this helps!

Michael A. Marschall, MD

Recovery time for Breast Lift and Augmentation

+1
Yes, get some health with your young one early on.
Regarding Post-Operative Healing after breast lift with implants:Here are the instructions we give to my patients:

You will go home in a bra or with only light dressings over the incision lines.
Patients can usually return to work in one week to ten days. Sutures are dissolvable but the ending knot is removed within 1-2 weeks.
Initial discomfort is easily controlled with oral medication. Light activities may be started in 7-10 days with light lifting of 20 pounds or less from 10 days to 3 wks. After 3 weeks progressive exercise with running and lifting of heavier weights after 6 weeks.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Breast Augmentation/Lift Recovery Time

+1
Dear Neednewones,
Thank you for your post. There are a lot of variables to account for after breast augmentation and what to expect in the recovery process. The following is an outline based on some of these variables.  Breast lift does not add significantly to recovery time. As far as the child is concerned, I would have some help in the first week or so after surgery.

1. Pain: In general, breast augmentation is tolerated very well. When the implant is placed sub-facial or sub-glandular, i.e. above the muscle, there is very little pain post-operative. The muscle is left in place and in general, when I perform this technique, women have surgery on Friday, and are back to work (as long as they are not lifting heavy objects) on Monday. When the implant is placed sub-muscular, then there more pain and soreness as the muscle has been elevated which is similiar to having a pulled or torn muscle. This creates more swelling and takes longer to heal. In these case, most women take at least a week off of work.

2. Swelling and Size: It is very common to be about a size bigger right after surgery than what your final result will be. Swelling starts to occur right after surgery and tends to peak in the first week. After about a month you will have lost most of the swelling, but still not completely at baseline. After about another 3 months or so, you will have lost 99% of your swelling, but still have a pretty good idea of your final size at 1 month. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on bras until 3 months though, as they might not fit perfectly after all the swelling goes away. Also, the more activity you have, the longer the swelling stays, the more that needs to be done as far as lift etc. with surgery, the longer your swelling stays. As stated above, going below the muscle tends to produce more swelling and lasts for longer.

3. Scars: The natural healing process undergoes multiple phases, but in general, the first phase is the inflamatory phase were any scar will be firmer and may turn red or darker initially. This tends to last for 3 months. After this phase is the resolution phase where the scar inflammation goes away and all scars will be at their baseline at 1 year. The scars are mostly at their baseline at 6 months. The scars should be minimal if placed well, and sutured properly. I also like to protect the scars from stretching or widening in the first few months with surgical skin tape. The incision will be weak at first and susceptible to stretch or widening.

4. Massage: Your doctor may recommend early or late massage, depending on what is trying to be accomplished. In general, early massage is to manipulate a high implant or stretch a constricted area, such as in tubular breast syndrome, and late massage is to help fight capsular contraction. Search 'Breast Massage' to find my recommendations on this.

5. Exercise: In general, I ask my patients to keep away from aerobic activities in the first 2 weeks following surgery. Increased activity can increase swelling and hyper-swelling can cause stretch marks. Following this, 'non-bouncing' aerobic activity is fine, such as speed walking or cycling, but would like to keep the implants from moving too much until the capsule that forms around the implant has a chance to heal and become stronger. At 6 weeks, I clear any type of activity.

6. Infection: Infection after augmentation is very rare. Most surgeon give post-operative antibiotics to help protect you from infection.

7. Hematoma/Seroma: These are also very rare after augmentation. If the pocket for the implant that is made during surgery is a hand in glove fit, then there is very little room for any fluid to collect. It is important that the surgical pocket be free of any bleeding prior to closure to keep a hematoma from happening. If a hematoma does occur, it is important to drain the hematoma to prevent capsular contraction.

8. Sleeping: I ask women to sleep on their backs with their post-operative bra on after surgery to keep the implants in their proper position until the capsule that forms around the implant has a chance to heal.

I hope this has answered most of your post-operative questions.

Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Recovery after Breast Augmentation/Lifting?

+1

You will receive the most accurate diction of recovery time from your plastic surgeon who knows you and the operation plans much better than any online consultant can.

Generally speaking, based on your description I would suggest that you have help at home for at least one week after surgery.

Recovery after breast implants and lift

+1

You will probably need help for 10 days after the lift/augmentation procedure. You possibly would be able to function as a "Mom" sooner but you will need the backup.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Recovery from breast lift and breast augmentation.

+1

First of all, you have to remember that you are undergoing a real surgical procedure. There is no magic wand to make the changes without having to go through some period of recovery. I think that half of the recovery is physical - your body responding to the surgery. The other half of the recovery is psychological - your attitude and expectations before and after surgery. If you go in with a positive attitude and positive outlook, you are going to recovery faster. You should expect several days of soreness (as if you did 200 pushups) which is easily controlled with medications. Please remember that this is general advice. If you provide pictures we may be able to give you more specific advice depending on the amount of surgery required. I hope this is helpful. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Post operative recovery and help around the house

+1

These specific instructions should come from your plastic surgeon but I typically ask my patients to not lift, push or pull more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks while they are healing. This is modified as my patients do heal but having help for at least the first week or so is very helpful to give you a smoother recovery. I hope this helps.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS