When Will Breast Implant Size and Placement Changes Be Noticeable?

I have breast implants over the muscle for 10 years and they need to be replaced due to excessive rippling. Now going behind the muscle, since they apparently feel more natural and less likely to ripple again. My PS recommends going from 230 cc to 260-300cc. I like my current size. I understand having to increase somewhat going behind the muscle but don't want it to be noticeably bigger to me or especially anybody else. If he goes from 230 cc to 300 cc will it be very noticeable? At what point will an increase from 230 cc in front of the muscle to behind the muscle start to look noticeable? I'm 36 and my breasts are not especially saggy. Booked in soon and  worried. Thanks.

+1

Generally speaking going behind the  muscle will mean you will need a 10-15% increase in volume to maintain a similar size. with a 230cc implant that means about 250-265 cc will acchieve comparable breast size.

Implant exchange

+1

Exchanging implants that are 70 cc's different in volume, will properly not translate to a big change in breast size.  Putting them under the muscle especially if you have rippling superiorlyu will help camouflage things better.

An additional 70cc increase in volume will NOT translate into a larger breast

+1

Going with a 70cc larger implant (hopefully silicone gel for less rippling) behind the muscle is a good and conservative decision which should NOT translate into a much larger breast, if any at all. They will NOT be  "noticeably bigger to you or especially anybody else" . Do not worry about it.

Switching from 230 to 300 cc implant

+1

Increasing your breast implant size by 80 cc would give you a bit more fullness but not much of a change in breast size.  In general, when switching from above to below the muscle you must add 50 cc.   Also if you are switching from a saline to a gel implant then an 80 cc would be just about right.

Is 300cc much different than 230cc

+1

I assume you are staying with same type of implant fill material. Do you have saline or silicone? Saline generally will look larger for a volume change compared to silicone. If you are changing your implants because of rippling, if you have saline, switching to silicone could help this. You should not notice a size increase if you add 30cc of either silicone or saline. With saline you might notice a change at 300cc. If you have saline, the size is easy to control because the fill volume can be varied. Make sure your plastic surgeon has your picture in the OR. When he changes the implants, he/she can sit you up and compare your size to the pre-op picture and make any necessary adjustments to produce the same size. If you have ANY drooping, he/she may have to go slightly larger to take up the excess skin. Implants "fill" the skin more when they are top of the muscle.

Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Breast implant exchange

+1

Going below the muscle will take away about 50 cc's of the "look" of the new implants so increasing from 230 to 260 will be essentailly the same and going to 300 will only be a mild difference.  At 6 weeks after surgery, you will look about like you will from then on. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Implant Size

+1

I do not feel that you would see a noticeable difference in the size of your breasts if you change from 230cc to 260cc. This represents only about 2 tablespoons. There might be some slight visible change with 300cc implants, but even that would be subtle. More important is to overfill the implant somewhat if you are choosing a saline implant. Even under the muscle, there could be some rippling, if the implant is not overfilled.

John Whitt, MD