Breast Lift Possible During Removal of Ruptured Implants?

I had breast reconstruction with implants, but now I have a rupture. I need them out, can I have a breast lift at the same time I get the implants out?

Can breast lift be done at same time as implant removal.

+2

What type of reconstruction? Was it a straight augmentation or something else? If it was an augmentation, there is no reason why you cannot have a lift at the same time as implant removal. In fact, in many cases it is desirable to do so. An experienced plastic surgeon can determine if you, in fact, need the lift. If you had some other type of reconstruction, I need more info to answer the question. Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Breast Lifting Immediately After Implant Removal?

+1

Yes, you can have breastlifting performed at the same time as breast implants are removed. Obviously, you want to be as sure as possible, that you will be happy without reaugmentation of your breasts.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation  depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back),  the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation). 

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will  potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them  to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Communicate your goals clearly with your plastic surgeon.

Breast lift in tandem with breast implant removal

+1

Storm57, sorry to hear of your predicament. Given that you had breast reconstruction (presumably because of breast cancer), your procedure should be covered by insurance. If the reason for your breast implants was not due to cancer but rather a congenital condition or cosmetic, you may not get much assistance from the insurance company, however if you have your original implant information, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the implant manufacturer.

If you implants are saline, a breast lift would be quite feasible during explantation. If the implants are silicone a breast lift may be slightly more difficult if the silicone has extravasated (spread) outside of the protective scar capsule. The pre-op X-Rays studies (MRI) should document this condition. Some surgeons will advise you to "stage" the explantation (1hour) with the breast lift (2-3hours) by about 3-6months. Rely on good communication with your consultant to make the right decision. Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Breast implant removal and lift

+1

The safest and most reliable approach to your situation is to remove the implants then wait 6-9 months before attempting a breast lift. The reason for this is to allow sufficient time for skin contraction and shrinkage during the 6-9 month time period. Then, you and your surgeon will have a better idea as to what time of lift, if any, you may need.

This is not as simple a procedure as some may believe. I highly recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your surgical options and the timing of the implant removal and/or breast lift.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Breast lift and implant removal/exchange

+1

It is very likely that your lift will be somewhat minimal and therefore easily performed at the time of implant removal/exchange.

IF however, your implant is large and you are removing them completely and or need a significant lift, then there may be some concerns with vascularity to the nipple. This may limit the extent of the lift and some surgeons would prefer a staged approach

Implant problem and breast lift

+1

You most certainly can have a breast lift at the same time as an impalnt removal provided that you have enough tissue to actually lift.  Many times, when I have removed implants, patients do not have enough tissue to lift to fill out their breast.

Revision of Ruptured Breast Implant After Breast Reconstruction

+1

Dear Storm57:
You have several options. First, given that you underwent breast reconstruction with implants (i'm assuming after mastectomy), any revision procedures associated with post-mastectomy reconstruction will be covered by your insurance. Now lets move on to your procedural options. Briefly, you will have two options.

1. Revisional surgery with new implants. A lift can be tailored to your reconstructive procedure to give you a more youthful/perkier look.
2. Removal of implants and breast reconstruction with your own tissue. If you have excess belly tissue (i.e. have you ever thought of a tummy tuck), the excess skin and fat can be used to reconstruct your breast without an implant with a procedure such as a DIEP flap.

There are pro's and con's to each and every option.
Also, did you undergo radiation treatment? If so, I generally do not recommend implant reconstruction after radiation because the risk of implant-related problems significantly increases.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Breast lift with breast implant removal

+1

The short answer is yes. Make certain you go to an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who will go over all the possibilities and the upside and downside to any surgery you anticipate doing.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift during removal of breast reconstruction implants

+1

It ALL depends on how your operation was done, the thickness of the breast skin and if the skin was radiated or not.

I would ask your surgeon if at the time of implant exchange he could strengthen the floor of the breast and prevent future droopiness by placing either Alloderm or a Strattice graft. This may be the long term solution to your problem.

Good Luck.

Breast lift during implant removal usually can be done at the same time

+1

Yes it is possible to have implant removal and breast lift at the same time. Often, however, it is not necessary to do a lift since once the implants are removed the breast skin will tighten to some degree on its own. It is important for you to have a face-to-face consultation so the plastic surgeon can see how your breasts are now to determine if a lift would be necessary at the time of implant removal.

Robert B. Pollack, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon