How Would 320cc High Profile Implants Look on Breasts Smaller Than Cup A?

I went to a consultation for Breast Augmentation. I am currently less than an A cup. I am 5'6 and weigh 110 lbs. My surgeon said she wanted to give me a 320cc high profile silicone implant for a natural small C cup look. I was wondering you opinion on how "natural" versus fake this would look, since I noticed this sight said only about 5% of patients get high profile implants because of how unnatural they look.

VIDEO (click here for link) How Would 320cc High Profile Implants Look on Breasts Smaller Than Cup A?

+3

There is no simple formula for selecting breast implant sise. There are several factors that enter into the decision making process inlcluding your desires. If you seek a D cup the only implant that may accomplish this is by using a high profile implant.

Implant look

+2

WIthout an exam, it is hard to say what would look right for you. But, I have to say, I use high profiles quite often, and may patients are very happy and look great and natural.

Breast Implant Profile and Appearance

+2

Any patient who is petite with a limited amount of breast tissue will have trouble obtaining a "natural" look since you have so little tissue to hide the implant. Using the pectoralis (chest) muscle to hide the implant will help, but you will always have some degree of implant "visibility."

Choosing a high profile implant is largely based upon how wide your breasts/chest are and the volume you would like to achieve. These are the most narrow and most projecting of the profiles available. If you sized a larger implant and have a narrow breast width, then this may be the proper implant for you. However, no implant is perfect, and you may have to compromise as "natural" and "big" are often mutually exclusive - unless you are larger to start.

Thus you may have to compromise with accepting a bit more visibility with the high profile implant or opting for a moderate plus profile and a smaller volume (less CCs). Communication with your surgeon is the key, but we, as plastic surgeons, must work within the confines of your anatomy - that is something we cannot change.

Good luck.

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Differences in profiles for breast implants

+2

If you are seeking a natural look, high profile implants are not recommended. Usually, in order to achieve a natural look, moderate profile or possible moderate plus profiles are used. High profile implants are used for patients who have concaved or narrowed chests to give them more projection.

High profil breast implants

+2

There are reasons to use a high profile breast implant. If you have a narrow chest wall and/or narrow breast width, this may be a reasonable implant choice for you. Most patients seeking a more "natural" look will opt for the moderate or moderate plus profile breast implants, which are not as round as the high profile. However these implants may be too wide for your frame and breast width. Sometimes a high profile is indicated if a patient wants a larger size but has a small or narrow body type. You may discuss with your surgeon using a slightly smaller implant, perhaps 280cc, to minimize the chances of appearing too "fake".

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

High Profile implants can give a natural look

+2

Many factors come into play when deciding the size and type of implant. You say that you are less that an A cup, 5'6" and weigh 110 lbs. This is important information, but other factors also help determine the best size implant . These include the quality and elasticity of your skin and tissues, the amount of soft tissue covering the implant, position of the implant, and chest wall dimentions among others.

I use more moderate profile implants than high profile implants. I may choose high profile implants if the patient has a very narrow diameter of the breast base or if she is seeking fullness in the upper part of the breast. I like to approximate the implant and breast dimentions. In a thin woman with a narrow breast, the moderate profile implants may create too much fullness on the side/arm pit areas.

In the thin woman with narrow breasts, the high profile implants may be the better choice. Because the high profile implants are narrower and project more, they can give a rounder look in the upper part of the breast. The extent of this is influenced by the size of the implant and the quality of the tissues. Larger implants may give a rounder fuller look than smaller implants will.

I use implant sizers during the consultation. This gives an approximation of the shape different sizes provide and I find this is a helpful aid for the patient considering breast augmentation.

Most importantly, go to a board certified plastic surgeon with a good reputation who performs frequent breast augmentation. The surgeon's experience and ability may be the most important element. Also express clearly what type of result you are seeking. Then let the surgeon help you choose the best implant type and size.

James H. Schmidt, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Sizing Before Your Surgery

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.

Lastly, please make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  The proper credentials and certification matters.
Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS