Will HP Breast Implants Help with Pigeon Chest?

During a consultation, I was told I have Pectus Carinatum (pigeon chest). Presently, I am 34C, and considering breast augmentation (I had a breast lift done 1 year ago). My breast are not extremely small, but from a side/profile view, I look almost flat chested in many outfits.

I have very little upper pole projection, which is exaggerated by my sternum's forward protrusion. Would high profile implants be a good choice due to my condition? I don't want ball-looking stripper breasts. I'd prefer a natural-looking breasts with more forward projection.

Natural appearing breast augmentation with medial/superior fill

+1

Unfortunately the most commonly used type of implants (high profile) and the most common type of placement ( submuscular/dual plane) cannot deliver the natural 'tear drop' effect or cleavage that you desire.  Leaving the origination of the pectoralis major medially intact in submuscular placement ensures that the implant cannot be medial enough to look natural, and a flat plateau is left centrally.  There are also big problems associated with anatomic implants placed in conventional planes( they work well in subfascial carefully designed pockets).  This is why I use a very unique methof of breast augmentation that I call 'cold-subfascial augmantation.'  the placement of the implants is not 'above the muscle' or subglandular, nor is it submuscular or dual plane.  A very strong layer of connective tissue is meticulously and atraumatically dissected from the pectoralis major muscle and this tissue is used to shape and support a lower profile implant into a gentle tear drop shape.  It is the surgical dissection and not the implant itself that gives shape to the breasts.  The results sit like natural breasts and do not move like submuscular implants do with arm motion.  The fascia also supports the implant giving it relative protection from gravity and aging.  
Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Breast Implant Profile

+1

A high profile implant with produce nice projection at the expense of width. It will also not make your breasts very natural. A natural breasts has a gentle slope in the upper pole and a HP implant will not be very gentle.

I would measure your base diameter and decide on the volume and take it from there. A moderate plus silicone implant may be a better choice. You also have some bottoming out of your breasts which may benefit from an inframammary mastopexy, which would shorten the distance between the NAC and the crease.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Breast implants in an individual with a pigeon chest.

+1

In my experience, over time the breast implants will tend to "slide down" your chest especially when laying down which will worsen your cleavage and make them appear further apart. I have included a link below which illustrates this. Scroll to the "pigen chest". To minimize this tendency you may want to consider moderate plus rather than high profile. Furthermore textured implants may have a lower tendency to move in comparison to smooth implants.

HP breast implants in pigeon chest

+1

Would high profile implants be a good choice due to my condition? - Either HP(gel or saline) or the Mentor Moderate Plus (saline) would give you the projection and fill you desire.

I don't want ball-looking stripper breasts. I'd prefer a natural-looking breasts with more forward projection.- "The Ball" typically is due to subglandular (under the breast) implant placement without sufficient breast cover and affected by capsular contracture. Although capsular contracture cannot be RELIABLY prevented I would urge you to pick an implant that CAN be covered by your present breast diameter - that would maximize your chances for a great result.

I hope this was helpful.

For upper pole fullness you need implants and high profile will do great.

+1

It seems to me that you have a little bottoming out of your breast so I would recommend that you have textured silicone gel implants under your breasts. I would prefer high profile but some others prefer moderate plus. I would also consider shortening the distance from the crease to the nipple is it is too long.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Breast implants and pectus carinatum

+1

You seem to have a very nice result from your breast lift. If you want more fullness, then you definitely need implants.  It may camouflage the prominent sternum.

Breast implants for pigeon chest.

+1

Hi1

1) You have had a good breast lift.

2) You will definitely look better with implants. My first impression is that you would do better with moderate PLUS profile breast implants rather than high profile, but this depends on careful measurements. Also disposable implant SIZERS should be used during surgery to help make final decision.

3) It is your surgeon's responsibility (not yours) to pick the right implants. See link below.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Many patients elect breast implants after a lift.

+1

One down side to a breast lift is the difficulty in maintaining upper pole projection. Adding an implant is an option that many patients seek. In my practice, I have found that long term upper pole projection is better maintained with a high profile implant. I have used moderate profile implants and they seem to collect their fullness in the lower pole, giving someone larger breasts that still look flat from the side. I don't think that high profile has to be equated with unnatural look. Make sure you review size, diameter, and expectations carefully with your surgeon. I think you are an excellent candidate.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Breast implants for pigeon chest

+1

First of all, your lift has given you a nice and symmetrical shape and result. You have a very minor amount of outward displacement of the chest wall and could use any profile of implant and get a nice result. The HP will look the least natural with the greatest degree of upper pole fullness. You might do perfectly well with a moderate profile and be able to use garments to accentuate the result at your discretion.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast implants should help profile

+1

Yes, I have a few patients who have your chest anatomy and, in my opinion, looked much better (particularly from the side) after breast augmentation. I have pictures in my office but I don't have a good one on the website (sorry).

You will, of course, be bigger. Do you really want to be that way? I'm not sure it would be a good idea to end up larger than you would like to partially camouflage a minor chest abnormality.