Breast Implants After Double Mastectomy and No Fat Tissue?

I've had a double mastectomy and my breast are mounds. I'm thinking of having breast implants. All that flap and my own tissue was junk, I have no fat. Are breast implants appropriate for me?

Delayed bilateral breast reconstruction

+2

By all means, consult with your surgical and medical oncologists and find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with an active interest in breast reconstruction. You can call your local hospital or county medical association to get a list. Once you have a list, do the rounds and interview at least three. You should find a PS with whom you will have a rapport because delayed breast reconstruction usually takes about a year.

Assuming that you did not have a skin-sparing mastectomy, your first stage would involve placement of a temporary device called a tissue expander. This device is percutaneously filled with saline, over a period of months. The second stage involves removal of the tissue expander and placement of a permanent silicone or saline implant. Silicone gel implants include the cohesive gel and form stable implants; the latter are not yet in wide use yet. The third stage is nipple reconstruction and the fourth, finishing touch is tattooing the areolar.

Especially if you are a thin woman, this method of alloplastic breast implant is probably the preferred route. good luck.

Breast reconstruction with implants

+2

Dear Andrea

Certainly you are at the very least a candidate for a reconstruction with expanders and implants. Just from the sound of your question I assume you have been on at least one consultation for reconstruction. With the new implants that will hopefully be on the market soon a very satisfactory result can be obtained in most cases. Why not seek several consultations with plastic surgeons before deciding what to do.

Good luck with your decision.

Steven Schuster MD FACS

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants After Double Mastectomy

+1

I don't understand if you underwent a flap reconstruction or don't want them.Breast implants may help to restore lost volume but are limited in their ability to achieve a soft pendulous breast.  Any reconstruction will tend to appear more natural with your own tissue and the amount of skin which is spared during the mastectomy can help in this goal.

Breast reconstruction

+1

Without an exam, it would be hard to determine what you would need in terms of reconstruction. You may be a candidate for implants or soft tissue reconstruction.