Are 350 Cc Breast Implants Too Conservative for D Cup Goal?

I'm 25 years old, 5'5, 125 lbs, no kids yet. I've lost 20 lbs and went from a full 36D to 34B. I went to 2 plastic surgeons, both decided I don't need a breast lift as my breasts mainly lack volume. My ribcage is 29", breast width 13cm. I have a 'pigeon's chest' and I also have thin skin on my breasts. Both surgeons recommend high profile silicone breast implants placed over the muscle (based on my chest structure and breast shape), and one of them prefers to use anatomicals. Neither of them will give me more than 350 cc. Will this get me to D cup?

Breast implants for D cup breasts.

+2

Hi!

1) I agree absolutely that 350 cc's is a maximum for you. They will probably get you to a D cup at least. Excessively large breast implants stretch your tissues, and age badly.

2) High profile implants are a good choice for your dimensions, Moderate PLUS profile implants would probably be fine too, and may give a more natural look.

3) I do not recommend using "anatomical" implants. They have more problems, and do not give you a more natural shape.

350cc size?

+1
There are several factors that plastic surgeons consider when recommending implant sizes. I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

How many cc for a D cup?

+1

Without photographs, an examination and complete measurements not just the ones you mentioned would be required for the best answer. Addtionally a "pigeon chest" also called pectus carniatum, usually requires and implant that can help maks this chest wall shape. With your goal in mind, it is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require in order to reach a D cup without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be tough to answer your question. For example your native base width of your breast will determine in many cases the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Additional critical decisions will also be made by your plastic surgeon such as: whether your implants will be above or below your pectoralis muscle. These choices are recommended to you based on the look you desire, the amount of sagging you may have, and other deciding factors. I always find it helpful for patients to bring in photos from my or other plastic surgeons’ websites to illustrate what they would like to look like. I bring these photos to the operating room for reference during surgery so that I have the advantage of “seeing through my patient’s eyes” to achieve their wishes.
I personally order more than one set of implant sizes and use sterile sizers placed in the pocket during surgery to know in advance exactly which implant would work best for you. Software morphing programs can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn't work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts).
My advice is to accept advice from your board certified plastic surgeon after a formal consultation and examination with measurements.. If still confused don't hesitate to get a second opinion.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Toronto BBA

+1

There is no way to guarantee a particular bra size. Bra sizing varies greatly between bra manufacturers and a C in one bra will be a D in another. What matters more than the assigned bra size is the way the implant looks on you. The best option for your body and aesthetic goals can be determined in a thorough implant sizing session.

Implant sizing depends on several factors. One of the most important factors is your breast width. Generally, your surgeon will measure your breast width, and then provide you with a range of implant sizes appropriate for your native breast size. There are more nuances to it than just what I've described, but this approach works for most women.

I usually have my patients bring in a large bra and a tight t-shirt to do sizing. I'll then choose 3-4 implants that I feel are appropriate, and have my patients place them in the bra under the tight t-shirt. My patients can then look in the mirror and get a good sense of what they will look like with the provided implant sizes. My patients like this approach and get a great idea of how they will look.

By using this technique, your surgeon can outline a range of appropriate implant sizes that will be aesthetically pleasing, and you make the final decision.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sincerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Breast implant size

+1

It is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

VIDEO (click here for link) Are 350 Cc Breast Implants Too Conservative for D Cup Goal?

+1

I would use the sizers such as those shown below to help you decide on whether the breast implants would achieve the desired appearance as well as the cup size.

350 cc and "D" cup?

+1

Without an exam it is hard to say what exact cup size you would be, and even  with exam this can not be predicted with certainty.  To get an idea, you can try a baggy test and fill up to the desired volume and try on a "D" bra.

Breast implant sizing

+1

In my opinion, the best way to determine which bra size you will be is to place the actual implant in a bra. If the bra fills appropriately, that is the size you will be. If the bra is too large, it will have excess space and wrinkles in it. If the bra is too small, the implant will bulge medially , and perhaps push the bra away from your chest. The nice part about putting the implants in the bra is that pretty much what you see is what you get. You can see what the implant looks like on your frame size and height which gives you the opportunity to determine whether the size makes you overall look thin, fat, or just right.

Michael Horn, MD