Mammogram Before Breast Lift with Implants?

I want a breast lift/breast implants as soon as possible. However, I recently stopped breast feeding after two years and the the radiology facility said I can't get a mammogram for six months. Can I get one sooner or is six months the norm?

Mammography Before Breast Surgery?

+2

I would suggest you follow the radiologists' recommendation in regard to mammography. Assuming you are  40 years of age or older mammogram prior to surgery will be helpful. If you are younger than 40,  then it may or may not be indicated depending on your specic situation (personal/family history of breast cancer and/or  specific concerns on physical examination).

Mammogram before breast surgery

+2

I generally recommend a baseline mammogram before breast surgery for any woman > 40. I will recommend a mammogram for anyone < 40 for anyone with a family history or with a physical exam revealing a breast mass. My RN and I also instruct patients to perform monthly self-exams before and after surgery.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Mammogram timing for lift and implants

+2

The radiologists are the experts for mammograms so I would do what they say. You also should wait 6 months before undergoing a lift and augmentation because your breasts are going through changes right now that will continue even after the surgery. Getting this operation right at one shot is difficult enough. Adding the fact that the breasts are not stable complicates factors even more. In addition you may not need a mammogram if you are not at least of age for screening. Recent information that is being publicized indicated that even age 40 may not be old enough to start screening mammograms.

Be patient, it will pay off in the long run.(after all you did breast feed for 2 years so you must be patient)

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Mammagram before Implants

+2

Breast implants can certainly interfere with mammagrams and it might be advisable to obtain a baseline mammagram before your surgery.  However, I would recommend this only if you have a strong family history or if you are over 40. 

John Whitt, MD

Pre-op Mammograms

+2

Mammograms in general are controversial as a screening tool for breast cancer, so pre-op mammograms are even more controversial. Some doctors insist on them and some do not. Much of this is dependent of your age and risk factors that you did not mention. Most of the time, it would be reasonable to follow the recommendations of your internist or gynecologist for routine screening. For instance, it they don't screen until 40 or 45, and you are 30, you probalbly don;t need one. If you are fairly close, say 39 or 44, you might want to get one early. newer federal guidelines suggest that screening mammograms are not necessary in non-high risk patients until 50 but not all agree.

I think the more important screening test is the post-op mammogram since there can be mammographic densities and changes in the architecture of the gland due to the surgery. Your doctor will want to know what changes are surgical changes and what are real. Usually I will recommend a new baseline post-op mammogram no sooner than 6 months post-op.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Mammogram before breast augmentation?

+1
Dear NYC,Thank you for your post. In general, I follow the patient's gynecologists guidelines for mammograms which is commonly to start at age 40. While getting a mammogram earlier is not a requirement for surgery, it is not harmful either. 1 in 8 women will get breast cancer so it is a valuable but not perfect screening tool. I would talk it over with your surgeon and find what you both agree with. In your case with recently stopping breast feeding, I would wait till after 6 months before surgery anyway.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Mammogram before breast lift with implants?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question!  This a great question, which is often asked by patients.  There is no link to breast implants, either saline or silicone, and cancer.  All supporting literature has demonstrated this fact and no association with cancer, autoimmune disorders, or autoinflammatory disorders.

You certainly can get a mammogram prior to six months.  I typically recommend getting a mammogram prior to any breast procedure for a baseline, since the architecture will change after the procedure.

It is known that women are more in tune with their breasts and more diligent with examination and feeling/knowing the contour of her breasts, thus able to identify any abnormality sooner, awith breast procedures.  Imaging studies of the breasts are similar to imaging without breast implants and cancers are not hidden either by the presence of breast implants.  It is true that with breast implants do obscure a portion of the breast during imaging studies, but with the Eklund displacement views, which should be done when having mammograms with breast implants, there is minimal change.  You should remain proactive with your monthly self examination, annual clinical examination, and mammograms beginning at age 40 (unless family history, as directed by the Radiological Society).  If there is anything concerning on mammogram, other imaging modalities would be utilized, including ultrasound and/or MRI.  Best wishes!  Hope that this helps!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Mammogram before breast augmentation

+1

Breast augmentation can change the appearance of the breast, therefore it is advisable to get a mammogram before breast augmentation to establish the appearance of the breast before the implant is placed. If there is a questionable lesion, the workup can be done before breast augmentation. Radiologists can use the pre-augmentation mammogram to compare to any postsurgery changes. You will need an extra "view" when getting a post-augmentation mammogram. However, it is perfectly safe to get breast implants and they will not increase your risk of breast cancer.

John Burns, MD

Mammogram before breast lift with implants

+1

Your breast MUST be at their normal location and volume which can only be reached 6 months or so AFTER stopping breast feeding. Doing it sooner will compromise your cosmetic results and may be associated with higher rate of complications.

While we could well argue which radiological method provides the best visualization of the breast, Mammogram are regarded by many as the standard. I require all my patients to have a normal mammogram in the year prior to the surgery. If they never had one, I ask these woman to go ahead and have a baseline mammogram before their breast operation. Such a study could prove VERY valuable in the future should a nodule be discovered in the breast after surgery.

Preop mammograms and cosmetic breast surgery

+1

I make it a policy to be sure all patients in my practice undergoing cosmetic breast surgery have a normal mammogram within the past year. I also ask them to get another at one year postop to establish their new baseline for future follow-up.

If you have just finished breast feeding, the 6 month wait as described by the other doctors is very reasonable for all the reasons discussed.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS