Can Breast Augmentation Alone Correct Tubular Deformity?

I have Tubular Breast Deformity. My doctor is saying that Saline Breast implants alone should be able to fix this.

I am not to sure the exact severity of it. Can it be fixed with just a Breast augmentation? Also, my doctor recommends waiting until after the surgery to reduce the size of the areola - any reasons for this? Thanks for any input!

Tuberous breast deformity

+3

Tuberous breast deformity is often incorrectly referred to as tubular breast deformity. It is so named because of the deformed breast's resemblance to a root vegetable called a tuber. Based on what I see in your photograph, you do not have this deformity. The posted photo shows ptosis and glandular ptosis, i.e., sagging breasts. A photograph alone does not replace a clinical exam, however, I would not recommend augmentation alone as it will make your larger, but not less droopy. Try looking up before and after photographs of women who have had breast augmentation and mastopexy. That is what I believe would give you the best result.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breast Deformity

+2

I have seen and treated various different types of tuberous breast deformities. It would be hard for me to say that you have a definite tuberous breast deformity. If you do it is a very mild case. Anyhow, getting back to your question. No, implants alone would not solve the issue you have which is large areolas and drooping of the breast on the right more so than the left.

You do need a reduction of the areola but also need a lift. This can be all done in one session. Some surgeons do choose to perform the lift and then the implant at a later time. This is just a matter of surgeon's choice.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Corrrecting a tuberous deformity of the breast

+2

First of all, other than having large areolae you don't look like you have a tuberous deformity. Secondly, putting implants in you by itself will only make you a larger version of what you are. Is that what you want?

I suspect that what you want are elevated nipples, toned breasst with more volume, and symmetry. To get these, you will need a lift plus the implants, not just implants alone.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

You seem to have a ptotic breasts not tubular breast

+1
You seem to have a ptotic breast not a tubular breast, but pictures can be sometimes deceiving.  A proper assessment would be required.  Looking at your pictures only, I think a breast lift would need to be added to give you a nice result.  Without a lift you may get a nice volume increase and look good in clothes/bra, but when you would take your clothes off, you wouldn't be happy with the look of your breasts (if you do implants only)

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Tuberous Breast Deformity Correction

+1
Some patients with minor tuberous breast deformity will only have breasts that have a high fold, tight base or a constricted appearance while others may suffer from a more severe problem where the breasts resemble tubes. Judging from your photo, you do not appear to have this condition (or if you do, it is very, very mild). For this reason, implants alone may help enhance the size of your breasts. However, your breasts do appear to be affected by ptosis to some extent, therefore you may want to consider a lift. Properly selected implants may also provide a sufficient lift, however please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to determine suitability.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Can breast augmentation alone correct tubular deformity?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question and photo!   Given your photo, it does not appear to me that you have a true tuberous breast/constricted breast deformity.  The standard procedure would be placement of an implant (or tissue expander, depending on the lower pole of your breast) as well as a circumareolar breast lift.  These modalities would correct the issues with tuberous breast: constricted breast at the inferior pole, via breast prosthetic; scoring of the tissue to release the bands; lowering the inframammary fold; correcting the herniation of breast tissue into the areolae; and decreasing the overall size of the areolae.  These are the hallmarks of tuberous breasts.  

It appears that you do have some breast asymmetry along with large/stretched areolae.  You would likely get great results with an implant and small breast lift to correct the areolar size as well as symmetry of the breasts.

Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in breast surgery and discuss your goals and expectations.  S/he will then be able to examine and discuss the various options and assist you in deciding which decision os the right one for you, given your desires.  I would expect a very pleasing result for you!  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Augmentation Alone Cannot Always Fix Tubular Breast

+1

Dear tubular - from your photo I would definitely recommend you have a circumareolar lift on the right side to achieve symmetry.  If you breasts were the same then perhaps you could try implants alone, but in your situation I do not think you will be happy.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Best solution for tubular breasts

+1

Tuberous breast repairs are commonly scar ridden flat and unnatural looking.  The good news is that there is a specific technique to create natural appearing breasts with hidden scars for this type of breast shape. The procedure involves a special subfascial placement of silicone implants and a special nipple lift and areolar reduction with a hidden scar.  The results are very natural appearing. 

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

Photos: Tuberous breast and treatment with implants

+1

I'm not sure I would call this a constricted or tuberous breast. You will likely require a modified lift and/or areolar reduction with augmetnation. Whether you do this in one or two procedures may vary from one surgeon to another.

Surgery for tuberous breast deformity?

+1

Who diagnosed you with a tuberous breast deformity? I don't see any hallmarks of the deformity- you have breast volume and infra-mammary fold imbalances, and dilated areola, with some breast and nipple ptosis bilaterally- that's not tuberous breast deformity.

You would look great with a  circum-vertical breast lift with or without an implant.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon that knows how to diagnose and treat your very normal breast anatomy.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS