Can Breast Augmentation Alone Correct Tubular Deformity?

I have Tubular Breast Deformity. My doctor is saying that Saline Breast implants alone should be able to fix this.

I am not to sure the exact severity of it. Can it be fixed with just a Breast augmentation? Also, my doctor recommends waiting until after the surgery to reduce the size of the areola - any reasons for this? Thanks for any input!

Tuberous breast deformity

+3

Tuberous breast deformity is often incorrectly referred to as tubular breast deformity. It is so named because of the deformed breast's resemblance to a root vegetable called a tuber. Based on what I see in your photograph, you do not have this deformity. The posted photo shows ptosis and glandular ptosis, i.e., sagging breasts. A photograph alone does not replace a clinical exam, however, I would not recommend augmentation alone as it will make your larger, but not less droopy. Try looking up before and after photographs of women who have had breast augmentation and mastopexy. That is what I believe would give you the best result.

Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breast Deformity

+2

I have seen and treated various different types of tuberous breast deformities. It would be hard for me to say that you have a definite tuberous breast deformity. If you do it is a very mild case. Anyhow, getting back to your question. No, implants alone would not solve the issue you have which is large areolas and drooping of the breast on the right more so than the left.

You do need a reduction of the areola but also need a lift. This can be all done in one session. Some surgeons do choose to perform the lift and then the implant at a later time. This is just a matter of surgeon's choice.

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.feplasticsurgery.com

Corrrecting a tuberous deformity of the breast

+2

First of all, other than having large areolae you don't look like you have a tuberous deformity. Secondly, putting implants in you by itself will only make you a larger version of what you are. Is that what you want?

I suspect that what you want are elevated nipples, toned breasst with more volume, and symmetry. To get these, you will need a lift plus the implants, not just implants alone.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Breast Augmentation Alone Cannot Always Fix Tubular Breast

+1

Dear tubular - from your photo I would definitely recommend you have a circumareolar lift on the right side to achieve symmetry.  If you breasts were the same then perhaps you could try implants alone, but in your situation I do not think you will be happy.

Best solution for tubular breasts

+1

Tuberous breast repairs are commonly scar ridden flat and unnatural looking.  The good news is that there is a specific technique to create natural appearing breasts with hidden scars for this type of breast shape. The procedure involves a special subfascial placement of silicone implants and a special nipple lift and areolar reduction with a hidden scar.  The results are very natural appearing. 

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Web reference: http://www.rianmaercksmd.com/blog/2011/10/tuberous-breasts-and-aesthetic-augmentation-small-narrow-breaststhere-is-a-solution/

Photos: Tuberous breast and treatment with implants

+1

I'm not sure I would call this a constricted or tuberous breast. You will likely require a modified lift and/or areolar reduction with augmetnation. Whether you do this in one or two procedures may vary from one surgeon to another.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Surgery for tuberous breast deformity?

+1

Who diagnosed you with a tuberous breast deformity? I don't see any hallmarks of the deformity- you have breast volume and infra-mammary fold imbalances, and dilated areola, with some breast and nipple ptosis bilaterally- that's not tuberous breast deformity.

You would look great with a  circum-vertical breast lift with or without an implant.

Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon that knows how to diagnose and treat your very normal breast anatomy.

Web reference: http://www.breastaugmentation-seattle.com/html/breast_surgery_constricted_breasts.php

Tuberous breast deformity

+1

Hi, implants alone are often not sufficient for correction of tuberous breast deformity. This may in fact exacerbate the condition and make the deformity more obvious. I also cannot see any reason to reduce the areolae at a later stage. I would recommend insertion of implants through an areolar incision which would aloow concurrent reduction in size. The infra-mammary fold beneath the breast generally needs to be lowered, and the thickened breast tissue in the lower pole of the breast needs to be released. Without these steps, your aesthetic result will not be as good as it can be. You may want to address this with your surgeon, and ask to see pictures of other patients with the same shape of breasts. Good luck, /nsn.

Breast augmentation and tubular breasts

+1

Thank you for providing a picture. It really helps to answer questions when you can see what the patient looks like.

Forget the tubular breast question and focus on what it is that bothers you and what your ideal situation would be. You may have several options depending upon the answer to these questions. You could want a breast reduction, a breast lift, a lift with implant or just implants. The designation as tubular breasts has very little bearing in your situation.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous breasts sometimes are mis diagnosed.

+1

From the photo you posted it does not appear that you have tuberous breasts. You have a large areola and some ptosis (droop). There is obvious asymmetry. Implants alone (saline or silicone) will give you a bigger version of what you have now. So, if just being larger but not changing shape is what you want, then implants are indicated. If you want a lift, a smaller areola or an improvement in symmetry, then you may need to re-think the approach and talk it over again with your surgeon. You may need a lift alone, if you are happy with your size.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.