Can Scarred Tissue Under Breasts Be Removed During Breast Augmentation?

I have HS (hidranitis suppurtiva), which is a skin disease with no cure or treatment. I have a lot of scars under one of my breasts. The scars start from the bottom of my areola to below the crease of my breast. Can the surgeon remove all of that scarred tissue under my breast during breast augmentation? My breasts are also of different sizes (large A cup and large C cup). I just want normal, SAME SIZED breast. I would like to have my breast implants inserted through the nipple and under my muscle. Please help!  Thank you so much!

Breast implants should never be placed through an infected area

+1
If you have HS then you have a chronic infection and this is a major problem if you want to have breast augmentation. HS needs to be treated first before you should consider implants otherwise you are at high risk of an infection or at best severe capsular contracture of your breast implants.

Breast implant augmentation in patients with hidradenitis or open wounds (photo)

+1

The picture above shows what appears to be active wounds which may contain bacteria that could increase the risk of complications following breast implant augmentation surgery. I would be reluctant to consider surgery in this instance without looking further into the disease state.

Hidradenitis and breast augmentation

+1

Infection and brest implants do not mix. I would treat the hidradenitis first.  Then I would reassess in a few months to make sure no disease process returns before performing a breats augmentation.

Hidradenitis and Breast Augmentation

+1

This is not a good idea. As these areas harbor bacteria you should not have implants placed while you have these lesions.

What it does appear like is that you probably need a lift. I would choose to have the breast lift done on you, probably an anchor or "T" lift which would remove a good deal of this if not all.

Let things heal and then in about 6 months you could venture down the path of breast implants.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Hidradentitis and breast augmentation

+1

You have 2 problems whose solutions should not be combined. I would recommend dealing with the hidradenitis first. You really should have that under strict control and not anticipate any additional surgery before proceeding with a breast augmentation. You may find that with the amount of skin that needs to be removed due to the scarring the breast implant size may change. Only after you have healed completely from the hidradenitis surgery should you decid upon the augmentation surgery.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation with Hidradenitis

+1

I certainly would not remove the scars from your HS during a breast augmentation. In fact I would be concerned about placing an implant in your situation at all. You are at a much higher risk for infection of your implant. I think you should consider an analagous tissue transfer which might even be a civered benefit with your HS and significant breast asymmetry.

John Whitt, MD

Hidradenitis Suppurativa and Breast Augmentation

+1

Dear Leslie,

After reviewing your question, I would recommend two (2) separate operations. The first, the surgical treatment of the hidradenitis of the infra-mammary fold. Than after 2 to 3 months have the augmentation through a separate incision like the circum-areolar or axillary.

Hope this gives you a plan.

Hidradenitis Suppurativa and breast Augmentation

+1

"I have HS (hidranitis suppurtiva), which is a skin disease with no cure or treatment. I have a lot of scars under one of my breasts. The scars start from the bottom of my areola to below the crease of my breast. Can the surgeon remove all of that scarred tissue under my breast during breast augmentation?"

Hidradenitis Suppurativa MAY be curable early on with aggressive antibiotic therapy but once it becomes established the only solution is surgical - the removal of all scar and tunnels containing pus and allowing the area to recover. What may be required in your case is not so much breast augmentation but removal of the process and breast reconstruction.

If indeed that is what you have, I would NOT perform a breast augmentation on you the same time for several reasons: first, the amount of diseases tissue removed will decrease the size of the breast. Second, the area will be contaminated and any implant placed at the same time is very likely to become contaminated.

Charlotte has one large group of Plastic surgeons and many other excellent plastic surgeons as well. Consult with several of them before you decide.

Good Luck.

Breast implants and hidradenitis

+1

Dear Leslie,

Unfortunately, you have a much tougher situation than a regular augmentation. I can tell by your photo that the starting point from your breasts alone is difficult but the hidradenitis adds substantial complexity becasue of the risk of infection to the implant. It would not be possible to remove all of the damaged tissue at the same time as an augmentation and getting you to a great result even without the hidradenitis won't be easy either. I would suggest you contact Dr. Michael Beasley in Charlotte for a consultation.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS