Botox for Bulky Unilateral Masseter Muscle?

My left masseter muscle is much larger than my right. Could Botox help? I'm just worried my left masseter will end up smaller than my right.

Asymmeteric Masseter Muscle

+1

It is not unusual to see asymmetry in the masseter muscles.  In patients who are symptomatic of TMJ pain or headaches, the side with the larger masseter is more oftenn than not the culprit.  Treating unilateral masseter hypertrophy involves diagnosis of the cause of the larger size as well as making sure the physician treats both sides.  If you only treat one side, the other side will overcompenstate as well creating a larger contralateral masseter.

Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Unilateral Masseter Muscle Enlargement

+1

Botox will work great. Before you start on Botox, you need to be sure that enlargement is not related to any kind of abnormal growth like a tumor. You also need to see a dentist to make sure your occlusion (the way your teeth sit) is normal.

Once it is confirmed that all the enlargement is benign then Botox should work very well. You also have the option of surgically removing a large portion of the muscle. It is done from inside the mouth and works well.

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Enlarged Masseter

+1

I would first make sure that is exactly what it is, an enlarged masseter and nothing else.  You need to be examined if you have not yet and have a diagnosis prior to going about getting botox injected.

But yes botox will help this if it is your masseter muscle

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Botox for unilateral and bilateral masseter hypertrophy works well

+1

I have treated unilateral and bilateral maseter hypertrophy with Botox and it works very well. Aside from the cosmetic imrpovement, it also puts less strain on the temeromandibular joint which reduces teeth grind and tension headaches. Of course you do need to make sure first that there is not another cause for the enlargement.

Good luck.

Min S. Ahn, MD
Westborough Facial Plastic Surgeon

Left masseter muscle

+1

First you want to figure out why the left is so much larger than the right. This would require an examination.  If everything is OK, Botox may help to make the muscle smaller.

Botox for Masseter Muscle Hypertrophy, or is it an Enlarged Parotid Gland?

+1

Hi Fanny,

Please get an examination by an otolaryngologist-head and neck surgeon to make sure that you don't have an enlarged parotid gland before having your masseter muscle injected. 

If it is your masseter, it should not end up smaller that the other side.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD