Botox for Trigeminal Neuralgia?

I have severe trigeminal neuralgia after orbital decompression surgery for thyroid eye disease. I've been sent to the trash heap of 'pain management', which is completely ineffective.

I heard there was a study of patients in Brazil getting Botox injections for this kind of pain and all were helped to some degree. My question is, what kind of doctor do I see for this? Neurologist? Plastic Surgeon? I'm in Dallas/Fort Worth area and I need a rock star to tackle this after the horrible misery I've been through.

Trigeminal Neuralgia Botox & Kenalog

+2

I have been able to treat patients effectively with kenalog injections. Usually on palpation the branch of the trigeminal nerve causing the pain can be identified. Its usually either supra orbital, supratrochlear or infraorbital. Then I inject 5mg of kenalog into the nerve itself using 30gauge needle with 0.5cc of Kenalog 10.

It takes the pain away for about 3 months. I have not use Botox in the nerve but in the muscles of chewing with some success.

You should look for someone who deals with these issues regularly in the specialty of neurology or otolaryngology.

Regards

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

An oculoplastic surgeon could help

+1

It's worth trying Botox to see if it helps you. You could see an oculoplastic surgeon. This is a specialist who treats thyroid eye disease and has alot of experience with Botox. To find one near you, go to www.asoprs.org.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon