Botox to Fix Pouty Mouth?

My bottom lip protrudes out too much to where it looks like I'm pouting. I believe my mentalis muscle must have to do with this. Is there any other muscle that would contribute to a protruding bottom lip & could that muscle be treated with Botox?

Botox works for pouty lips, but be careful

+2

Botox works well for helping to improve pouty lips especially if the mentalis muscle is very active and the corners of the mouth are sagging downward. However, you need to be careful to not to overdo it and inject the botox in the correct place. This is critical for this area. The key is to inject a small amount in the mentalis and depressor muscles of corner of the mouth. Use only about 3-4 unites of Botox only.

Botox for pouty mouth

+2

Your mentalis muscle may have something to do with relative lower lip protrusion, but there are many other muscles that come into play in lip function. Additionally the actual size of your lip and your dentition may play a roll in the resting position of your lower lip.

Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will help you understand your situation And come up with an appropriate treatment plan.

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

Pouty Lower Lip Fix

+1

Conservative treatment with Botox, Dysport or Xeomin to the mentalis muscle often works well to improve the pouty appearance of the lower lip.  I would do a conservative treatment and see how you liked the result at one week. You can always add more!

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for a pout (lips)

+1

There are other risks to significantly weakening the mentalis which include the loss of the abiltiy to maintain the fluid retaining functions of the lower lip with resulting drooling. You may want to consider temporarily blocking the function of the muscle with a local anesthetic to asses the appearance prior to seeking longer term correction with botulinum toxin

Pouty mouth

+1

A pouty lower lip can be due to many things including your dentition, your skeletal structure, and the anatomic variation of the musculature of the lower lip.  It is unlikely Botox would have any effect except to cause the lip not to mouth normally.

Botox for a pouty lip

+1

The mentalis or the orbicularis oris muscles might be involved in creating the rolling forward of the lower lip. It could be an inherited normal anatomic variant and the muscle treatment with Botox might not effect the change that you desire. The use of Botox here is an off-label use and you could have an undesired result such as dribbling or drooling, difficulty in pronouncing some letters, singing or playing a wind instrument. If Botox were to be tried, a very low number of units should be injected. You can always add more, but if it is too much for you, it will last for quite some time.

Ronald Shelton, MD