Surgery Needed for Opened Up Blepharoplasty Stitches?

My stitches have opened up on one side after blepharoplasty. I had the surgery 2 months ago. Will I need blepharoplasty again or can the scar be simply stitched back up?

Blepharoplasty stitches or incision

Has your incision opened as well, or was it just the stitches? If it is just the stitches, by this time they should be removed since generally, the incision will have healed enough that the stitches are no longer necessary to hold it together.

If, however, it’s the incision that opened up, you need to return to your surgeon to have this resolved.

Blepharoplasty incisions should be healed by two months

Since the surgery was two months ago, the incision should be healed.  It is highly unusual for a wound to open up two months after a procedure like blepharoplasty.   Contact your surgeon for a post-operative evaluation.  

If blepharoplasty stitches open at 2 months, there is a wound healing problem

Blepharoplasty incisions should be tightly healed at 6-8 weeks. If yours have opened, there is a problem with wound healing. Are you taking stroids for asthma, arthritis or other problem? Steroids can interfere with wound healing.

You need to see your doctor for an evaluation and repair.

Blepharoplasty incision

It is extremely unlikely that your incision would have opened after two months following surgery. It may be that a semi or permanent suture has worked its way into the skin. In either case, I would follow up with your surgeon. A simple in office procedure can be performed in order to remove any scar tissue and appropriately close the wound.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty should be all healed by 2 months

It would be extremely unusual for the blepharoplasty incision to open after 2 months, whether is has stitches or not. Most surgeons remove the stitches after 5 - 7 days. In any case, if your incision opened, or your scar got wider, go back to your surgeon's office for an assessment. They should be able to deal with this issue. If they can't, consider seeing another surgeon for a consult or write back and include a photo.

On a different note, upper lid incisions usually heal extremely well, so if you happen to have a wider scar, it should be easy to revise it.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Eyelid surgery

This is such a rare occurence that I would definetly go back to your surgeon and have him/her look at it.  By two months everything should be close to 100% healed. 

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty incisions

I agree with the other remarks that it would be highly unlikely for a blepharoplasty incision to open up after two months. You should return to your surgeon for evaluation. You may have a suture abscess which can be treated without surgery.

Maurice M. Khosh, MD

Blepharoplasty incision

At 2 months it is unlikely that your sutures opened up. You should obviously be seen by your surgeon.  Sometimes small sutures abscesses can develop if subcutaneous sutures were placed. In the majority of blepharoplasties just skin stitches are used.

Needs evaluation

It is unusual for a wound to open up after two months.  You need to have this evaluated to see why this happened, and to try to avoid a recurrence.

Stitches coming out after blepharoplasty

If it's been two months, the area can most likely be cleaned and then re-sutured to make the scar as minimal as possible.  This can also probably be done in the office under local anesthesia only.