Blepharoplasty Recovery Time?

How much recovery time is needed after a blepharoplasty?

Eyelid surgery recovery

+3

Recovery time following blepharpoplasty varies depending upon the patient and the extent of the surgery. In a simple upper lid blepharoplasty with skin and only mild amounts of fat being addressed, the recovery is relatively quick. Quick means that you will feel well in a few days but, you can expect bruising and some discoloration of the incision to last longer.

Unless your lower eyelid problem involves only too much fat, lower lid surgery that involves skin or lid tightening tends to have a longer recovery period. You will feel well shortly after surgery, but, swelling and discoloration will last significantly longer than the upper eyelid surgery. Makeup can be applied within a week of surgery, but, if the surgery is extensive, you will have changes that can take several weeks to subside.

Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Recovery

+2

Blepharoplasty recovery is quite varied. It is greatly dependant on which lid is done, or, if both eyelids are done. The upper lids are usually a breeze. Sutures are out in 3-5 days and you can put make-up on to camouflage the usually mild bruising. The lower lids take longer to return to normal, and the recovery can be prolonged. In spite of this, most people are back to most normal activities in less than 2 weeks. The need for drops and adjustment of computer screens to a larger size may persist for many weeks. I had upper and lower blepharoplasty. I was back at work in less than a week with camouflage. I had the computer adjusted and had some problem reading for 2 weeks. I was using various drops and massaging the area for several months. I had some dysesthesia (abnormal sensation) of one cheek for about a year. None of this, however, slowed me down. I saw patients and went about my normal activities except as noted from about 4-5 days after surgery.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Blepharolplasty Recovery Time

+2

Hi,

Most of the bruising and swelling is resolved in 7 to 14 days following blepharoplasty. The stitches are usually removed on the fourth to fifth day after surgery. Many patients are able to return to work after a few days if they don't mind the slight swellling and bruising, or wearing dark glasses.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Healing time varies

+1
The healing time for a given procedure varies between different patients. 

Generally, maximum swelling occurs for about 3-5 days. A few patients may even have eyes that are almost swollen completely closed. Most of the swelling will be gone in 7 days. Most bruising resolves in 10-14 days. Some light skin discolouration can last several weeks. It will generally be one to two weeks before the swelling and bruising has resolved enough that you will want to go out in public. Occasionally, you can get out a little earlier by wearing sunglasses.  

The full results of your surgery will appear in a couple of months, depending on the extent of correction. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Recovery After Blepharoplasty Eyelid Surgery

+1
There is both good and bad news regarding recovery after eyelid surgery! I will usually answer this question in three parts:

1.)  The great news is that patients really feel very good immediately after surgery. They do show signs of bruising and swelling, but any mild discomfort is easily controlled often with acetaminophen alone (Tylenol).  Light activities at home including computer work, reading and light physical activity is resumed very quickly.

2.)  The bad news is that most patients really need between 10 and 14 days to return to public life without reservation. At this point, external signs of the recent procedure have faded to the extent that normal activities can be resumed fully.

3.)  In most cases, I will recommend holding off on heavy physical workouts for about 3 to 4 weeks depending on the types of surgery that we perform and the overall health and wellness of the patients.

Thanks for the very helpful question!
Dr. Hobgood

Todd Christopher Hobgood, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Varies From Patient to Patient Following Blepharoplasty Surgery

+1

Recovery from blepharoplasty varies from patient to patient and depends on multiple factors. We recommend that patients take seven to ten days before returning to work, but many are able to return sooner. Patients often feel good in about four to five days, but don’t feel that they are ready to appear in public because of residual swelling and bruising. Sutures are typically removed in five to seven days.

Recovery from eyelid surgery is related to how quickly eyelid swelling and bruising resolve. There are several things that can be done to minimize both swelling and bruising. In the pre-operative period, avoidance of herbal supplements, aspirin and ibuprofen can decrease the potential for bleeding and subsequent bruising and swelling.

In the post-operative period, avoidance of straining, elevation of the head, and the use of ice can minimize these phenomena.

It’s important to realize that healing goes on for up to a year following surgery, and that there are significant variations from one patient to the next. In the majority of patients, two weeks is adequate for recovery following blepharoplasty. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time

+1

Since everyone heals differently, recovery time from a blepharoplasty varies from patient to patient. Generally, recovery time is about a week – However, bruising may last longer. Talk with your facial plastic surgeon to discuss your individual situation.

James Chan, MD
Portland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery Recovery Time

+1

In general, it will be only 1 week until you’ll feel ready to go out to dinner with friends or back to work. The most unpredictable factor is bruising. To reduce this, we have our patients avoid vitamin E, fish oil, ibuprofen, naproxen, and aspirin prior to surgery. Generally, stitches are out by 4 to 5 days after surgery, and makeup can be applied the next day. Best of luck!

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Recovery Time

+1

The recovery time for a blepharoplasty varies from patient to patient and depends a great deal on you, since everyone heals differently.  The most significant swelling and bruising occur in the first few days and then subside fairly rapidly. Typically, patients take off from work anywhere from 3 days to 1 week if they are not concerned about people knowing that they had surgery. Others wait until 10 days to 2 weeks following surgery to return to work. Healing will continue and swelling will further diminish after that time. Cosmetics can help camouflage any bruising or redness that remains. After surgery, wearing sun glasses that block UVA and UVB rays and using sun screen are important.

Recovery time after eyelid surgery depends on a number of factors:

• A history of bruising easily.
  • Overall medical status.
  • Whether surgery is on the upper lids alone, lowers alone, or both.
  • The surgical approach: Laser resurfacing may prolong the recovery.
  • Smoking which delays healing.
  • Blood-thinning medications and supplements should be stopped 8-14 days prior to surgery. This includes prescription medications, low dose aspirin, anti-inflammatories, non-prescription supplements like vitamin E and fish oil. Discuss with your surgeon the medications and supplements that should be stopped and those that need to be continued.
  • Use of post-operative herbal supplements such as arnica montana and bromelain may promote healing and reduce bruising and swelling.
  • Following all instructions: iced compresses, head elevation, exercise restrictions.

Your specific concerns should be discussed with your plastic surgeon at a consultation.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty recovery takes 2 weeks

+1

Approximately two weeks is needed for recovery after a blepharoplasty to ensure all of the bruising, swelling, and ecchymosis is down. We also recommend no exercise for two weeks after the procedure.