Birthmark Removal Recovery for a 12 Year Old?

My twelve year old daughter would like to have the cafe au lait birthmark removed from her chin (if possible). She's becoming more self-conscious about it and I was wondering what the recovering experience (scabbing, etc) is like if we proceed. We are wondering if we should we wait until school is out to avoid exposure to the sun?

Removal would depend on size

+1
Laser can certainly help CALM cafe au lait macules, however recurrence can be seen in 30-50%. Additionally not all CALMS respond to Q switch laser. If the lesion is small, consider surgery under GA by a plastic surgeon. Then laser to help improve the scarring. 

If you do proceed with laser, sun exposure must be avoided for upto 3 weeks, and she may require up to 5 treatments. 

Reagards

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia

Brisbane Dermatologist

Apply sunblock to get best healing

+1

Thank you for your question.  There are various ways to remove birthmarks, depending on its etiology.  For example, a birthmark caused due to a vascular problem needs a completely different treatment than a birthmark such as a mole.  More often than not, vascular birthmarks need to have some form of laser treatment.  They can require more, but a laser is generally a minimum.  Other birthmarks such as a mole, can be excised in the office with relative ease.  The size and location will determine the final outcome.  A photograph always helps but there is no substitute for and in person physical examination.  Make sure you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon for the best outcomes.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Birthmark Sun Protection

+1

As long as you apply sun block to the treated area and avoid long term sun exposure the area should heal properly. Make sure that you use a product with the high SPF factor.

"Dr.D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Birthmark removal in a tween

+1
Sutures will remain in place for 5-7 days after which normal activities can be resumed although I would advise you that a child should not participate in sports for several weeks. This can be a concern if she is headed to day or sleep away camp. The area should be generously treated with sunscreen to avoid damage to the scar. Generally, I perform these surgeries on the kids on Fridays so they can return to school on Monday with the least interference with their activities.

Robert L. Kraft, MD