How to Remove a Pigmented Birthmark on Cheek?

I have a birthmark on my right cheek. I don't know what kind of birthmark is that but it looks like a pigmentation. How can I remove it?

Excision of a birthmark on the face

There are many techniques, including laser and excision, to remove pigmented birthmarks on the face. These options depend on the location and size of the birthmark. Excision seems to be a good option in most circumstances.  

Dr. Karamanoukian 

804 7th Street
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Removing Cheek Birthmarks

Removal of Pigmented birthmarks on the cheek depends on the location, size and shape of the birthmark. If it is small it is excised in an ellipse and closed primarily. If too large for that a flap, that is attached nearby is rotated in to fill the defect, or occasionally a skin graft can be used. All pigmented lesions or birthmarks need to be sent for pathological analysis to make sure it is not cancer or pre-cancer.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Birthmark removal

Pigmented lesions should be fully excised to rule out dysplasia or changes. This is performed under local anesthesia by board certified plastic surgeons. It is important that the lesion been sent for pathologic analysis. If the lesion is large and in an area in which scarring is of concern, it can be excised in two or more sessions to reduce the size of the ultimate scar which would result.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

The only safe method to remove a large pigmented lesion is for a total excision. For this you should see a board certified plastic surgeon or a dermatologist who concentrates on facial surgery. It is important that you have a pathologic diagnosis.

With the proliferation of medi-spas, often with "medical directors" from all kinds of non-skin related specialties ( in our area we have them owned/run by neurologists, dentists, radiologists, gynecologists etc. ) you may be talked into having this pigmented lesion lasered off. I can not advise you more strongly that this would be very foolish. When your procedure is complete, you want your specimen sitting in a bottle, to be borne off to pathology, not some charred remains whisked off with a gauze pad. If not thinking of yourself, think of the poor mole. Wouldn't you rather be on colorful display (neat purples and pinks) for the edification of pathologists and anyone who cares to look, or emptied that night into a bin with medical waste?

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

5320 Providence Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23464

Pigmented lesions of teh face

Generally, large or changing pigmented lesions should be removed and examined by a pathologist. IT is best to remove them entirely in one setting if possible. IF not, the alternatives are to remove them in stages or with use of reconstructive techniques.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005