Best Laser Vein Treatment for Males?

I am 28 years old and I have thread/spider veins both on the side of my nose and in the area between my nose and top lip. The latter veins are extremely fine and make my skin look red (rather than obviously 'veiny'). Will lasers still work on such redness and is there a best laser option? Keep in mind that I am male and have hair growing in this area.

Spider veins on a male face

+1

Spider veins on the face can be easily treated with a Nd:YAG but keep in mind that this is treatment and not necessarily cure.  Most people with a tendency toward more reddish skin and capillaries or spider veins will need periodic maintenance to keep the vessels from becoming apparent.  For diffuse redness IPL or Pulse Dye lasers are helpful but you can see diminished hair growth from IPL (sometimes temporary, sometimes permanent)

Lasers for veins

+1

For very small and fine veins the Vbeam pulsed dye laser is an excellent choice. For the large, ropy or more visible veins a laser that penetrates deeper in the skin is indicated such as a long pulsed 1064 nm laser, an example is GentleYAG. IPL is less effective for these veins around the nose. There are also lasers with a 532 nm wavelength that can reduce small veins but may not be as effective on the larger veins.

Elizabeth F. Rostan, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist