Best and Cheapest Way to Remove Butt Acne?

What is the best and cheapest way to get rid of acne in the buttocks? I've started using a benzoyl peroxide but I have seen minimal improvement. Also, what is a good product with retinoid and where can I purchase it? All advices are greatly appreciated!

Antibiotic

+1

Although I have been in dermatology for over thirty years I had never heard of butt acne until your question. Lo and behold there is even a web-site devoted to this subject, www.buttacne.org!

Most of us dermatologists would call this folliculitis. It is especially prone to occur in people who spend much of their time seated such as truck drivers, devoted office workers etc. The follicles become trapped, moist and prone to infection.

Benzoyl Peroxide was probably not a bad idea. The addition of a topical antibiotic such as Clindamycin (Benzaclin, Acanya, Duac) in a gel form also would help.

However, an oral antibiotic such as Tetracycline would be of the most benefit. It is cheap, safe and effective.

As far as the Retinoid. I would not bother applying it to the buttock area. It most likely would just be irritating.

If you want a relatively good Retinoid for acne of the face ( or keeping the skin young) try Roc's Retinol Correxion Night Cream product. It is fairly inexpensive. Retinol is not quite as good as Retin A since it requires conversion from Retinol (the alcohol form to Retinoic acid) however, it is OTC and milder.

Thanks for adding a new term to my dermatologic vocabulary.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist