Alternative Financing for Blepharoplasty?

What if my insurance company states they do not cover Blepharoplasty? My eyelids droop over eyelashes, one lower than the other. On the lower side, I often have a headache in the brow area. I tried over a year ago, but was told my insurance plan didn't cover it. Do I have recourse?

In our practice, we use Care Credit as well as other companies; they have been used by our patients with no problems.  They do have different rates so please make sure you get all of the information you need prior to signing up with any financing company.

Generally speaking, it is always in patients' best interests to achieve a certain degree of financial stability prior to undergoing elective surgery of any type. Patients should also keep in mind that additional surgery may be necessary in the short or long term, following the primary procedure that is being performed;  this additional surgery may be associated  out-of-pocket expenses. Again, best to achieve a physical, emotional, psychosocial, and financial “stable state” prior to considering elective plastic surgery. Best wishes.

Financing and insurance

At my practice in Toronto, we offer financing through Crelogix and Credit Medical. These are both great companies that offer competitive monthly plans. 

If your vision is impaired, you may be able to have insurance cover your surgery, however you would need a vision test first.

Alternative Financing for Blepharoplasty

You can appeal the initial decision of the insurance company. If this fails, you would be required to pay out of pocket although you may be able to finance the surgery so you would have low monthly payments. Companies such as CareCredit offer no interest programs, if paid off in the allotted time.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Blepharoplasty can affect the visual fields

Heavy upper eyelid skin that rests on the lashes can affect your peripheral vision; however, you will usually have to have visual field testing to prove that to be the case. Furthermore, most insurance companies require at least a 35% deficit to consider it medically necessary. You can always appeal the decision to your insurance company or you can pay to have the procedure done for aesthetic reasons which usually ranges from 1800 to 2500 dollars depending upon your area of the country.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pay for Blepharoplasty

Sometimes after 1 year or more things may have worsened and it may be worth rechecking with the insurance company. You always have the option for an appeal. However many consider this cosmetic and nothing is covered. You can always finance with a credit card. In my office we offer care credit which has zero % down and no interest if paid off in so many months. Good luck.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

The way to pay for a blepharoplasty is usually done out of pocket ( self-pay).  Insurance companies should not cover a blepharoplasty for cosmetic reasons.

Alternative financing for Blepharoplasty

Do I have recourse? Of course you do.

The same "recourse" you have as when your car needs to be repaired, your roof needs to be fixed, when you see a lawyer or any other activity involving the PURCHASE of professional services.

You reach into your pocket and pay for it and if you cannot finance it, you wait until you can.

If you think insurance companies are rotten now - check the local VA, Champus, Medicaid and the oncoming Obamacare for a sobering dose of reality.