Alternative Financing for Blepharoplasty?

What if my insurance company states they do not cover Blepharoplasty? My eyelids droop over eyelashes, one lower than the other. On the lower side, I often have a headache in the brow area. I tried over a year ago, but was told my insurance plan didn't cover it. Do I have recourse?

Alternative Financing for Blepharoplasty

+1

You can appeal the initial decision of the insurance company. If this fails, you would be required to pay out of pocket although you may be able to finance the surgery so you would have low monthly payments. Companies such as CareCredit offer no interest programs, if paid off in the allotted time.

Blepharoplasty can affect the visual fields

+1

Heavy upper eyelid skin that rests on the lashes can affect your peripheral vision; however, you will usually have to have visual field testing to prove that to be the case. Furthermore, most insurance companies require at least a 35% deficit to consider it medically necessary. You can always appeal the decision to your insurance company or you can pay to have the procedure done for aesthetic reasons which usually ranges from 1800 to 2500 dollars depending upon your area of the country.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pay for Blepharoplasty

+1

Sometimes after 1 year or more things may have worsened and it may be worth rechecking with the insurance company. You always have the option for an appeal. However many consider this cosmetic and nothing is covered. You can always finance with a credit card. In my office we offer care credit which has zero % down and no interest if paid off in so many months. Good luck.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty

+1

The way to pay for a blepharoplasty is usually done out of pocket ( self-pay).  Insurance companies should not cover a blepharoplasty for cosmetic reasons.

Alternative financing for Blepharoplasty

+1

Do I have recourse? Of course you do.

The same "recourse" you have as when your car needs to be repaired, your roof needs to be fixed, when you see a lawyer or any other activity involving the PURCHASE of professional services.

You reach into your pocket and pay for it and if you cannot finance it, you wait until you can.

If you think insurance companies are rotten now - check the local VA, Champus, Medicaid and the oncoming Obamacare for a sobering dose of reality.

Sorry.