What is the Extent of Alar Base Reduction Scars?

I have a large nose tip and a wide nasal base. I am thinking of undergoing alar base reduction, and I want to know about the scar that I will have on both sides of my nose after the procedure. To what extent will the scar be seen?

Scars from alar base reduction

+1

The scars on the alar base reduction are present on the inside of the sill and nostril and floor of the nose. They are indiscernible and imperceptible when an alar base reduction is performed properly.

Alar base reduction can improve the nasal aesthetics

+1

Alar base reduction is a procedure to narrow the width of the alar base. It is performed with incisions into the area around the nostrils. The shape and extent of the incisions varies with the type of narrowing required. This is a complex three dimensional area and the shape and length of the incision are crucial for a good outcome. For this reason alar base reduction should be attempted by experienced surgeons. The final element in the appearance of this procedure is the scarring of the tissues.

In many patients that come to my office seeking alar base reduction, I often find that other procedures to balance the nose are better suited to achieve the aesthetic goals of the patient. Frequently at the end of a nasal procedure the alar columellar relationship is enhanced favourably so that alar base reduction is not needed.

My best advice is to consult an experienced nasal surgeon to examine your nose and make some suggestions on how best to achieve your goals. Good luck.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alar Reduction Wound

+1

The incision for alar base reduction should be planned so that the resulting scar comes to rest in the crease between the nose and the face. If alar base reduction is indicated to improve the cosmetic appearance of your nose, the minimal scar of a properly perfomed excision should affect your decision to have the procedure. Do choose your surgeon carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

You should have no noticeable scars if done properly.

+1

In 30 years of doing noses, I have never had an objectionable scar (to the patient) from alar base incisions. BUT I never make the kind that go outside the floor of the nostril--not under the outside part of the nostril. These almost always heal poorly and many patients complain about the scar,