Is a 9mm Overjet Serious but Small Enough to Get Braces?

My dentist said I don't need braces but I have a 9mm overjet its noticeable but apparently my teeth are fine but in the uk (where I live) if you have a overjet more than 9mm then you qualifiy for them as the worst grade of teeth?!-_-

9mm overjet ... is it bad

+2

here in Missouri Medicaid pays only for the worst of the worst orthodontic problems.  One automatic qualifier is an overjet (sometimes incorrectly called an overbite) of 9mm or more....so, yes, I think you have a major problem that should be fixed!

Saint Louis Orthodontist

9mm over jet

+1

This degree of overjet needs to be corrected. 5mm or greater must be evaluated with surgery as a possible treatment plan. Jaw surgery is not always needed but likely will be discussed.

Jacqueline Demko, DDS, MSD
Chesterfield Orthodontist

Braces and overjet

+1

A 9mm overjet is pretty significant and should be addressed as early as possible.  It sounds like a Class II corrector is needed to be able to correct your malocclusion if you are still in a growth spurt.  Otherwise, a surgical option may be the only other options you have to correct.  I would imagine that correcting this overjet would have a profound change on your occlusion and dental health as well as a profile change that may be warranted.  I would seek an orthodontic consultation as soon as possible to evaluate your options!

Ron D. Wilson, DMD
Gainesville Orthodontist