Use two small Cool Sculpting adapters or one large adapter for treatment of stomach? (photo)

I am scheduled to have this treatment on Monday. The doctor recommended we use two smaller adapters for my flanks; but instead of the single large adapter for my stomach, he is recommending two small ones - one for each pooch of fat below my belly button. Is there a risk of over-treating where the two small ones on the belly overlap? Or is there a risk of unevenness? Would the doctors here recommend the single large adapter, or the two small ones, like my doctor suggests?

Applicator Choice

+1
The recommendation of the two small applicators (CoolCore) makes sense. It is unlikely that you would have requisite fat to do a tissue draw with coolmax. However, a physical examination would be needed. The amount of overlap should not be considerable and would not significantly increase your risk.

Large applicator vs two small

+1
The applicator choice is crucial when treating CoolSculpting patients. The large Cool Max applicator is an excellent choice for debulking an area, where as the smaller applicators are ideal for flanks and sculpting the areas. Judging from the photo that you provided, using 2 smaller applicators on the abdomen area would be a nice choice for you. It looks like your stomache is already pretty flat... you need to be careful when using the larger applicator because it can take a large un-natural "bite" out of your abdomen leaving you unhappy. It is always best to have a one on one consultation with someone who can provided a treatment plan for you in the office. 

Joe Gryskiewicz, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Cool sculpting applicator choice

+1
The large applicator would not be a good choice for you based on the appearance of your abdomen.You don't appear to have enough tissue to draw into the applicator .

Robert Whitfield, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting for the Lower Abdomen

+1
Coolsculpting is a fabulous tool for reducing the fat in a given area.  It looks from your photo that two small adaptors with some overlap would be the way to go.  You should return to the treating physician two months later to see the effects to determine whether you will need a second treatment to the area.  Please find a board certified dermatologist with experience in cooldsculpting for the best results.

Michele S. Green, MD

CoolSculpting Treatment

+1
Based on your photos I would recommend the 2 applicators vs 1 large. With 2 applicators you can better contour the body and as your Dr. recommends treat each pooch. In my experience the applicators may overlap but the treated area usually does not, this is because the applicators have cooling panels that treat the body and the applicator extend beyond the panels in each direction. Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist for best reccomendations.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Sounds like two adapters are the way to go!

+1
The best way to assess a patient for Coolsculpting is to physically pinch treatable fatty tissue. Upon pinching said tissue the peak of each bulge determines the center point for each placement of the Coolsculpting adapter. Coolsculpting’s official treatment protocol allows for a “two-fingers-width” maximum overlap without concern for overtreatment or unevenness.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

What is the correct applicator and treatment for your belly buldge

+1
You really want to avoid putting the applicator directly over the belly button.  I agree with the doctor you went to about using 2 smaller applicators...but if he/she is applying the applicators to your flanks, that will not address your belly bulge.   Generally to address the belly bulge, one uses the small applicator in four areas, like a diamond shape around your belly button.  Of course, without examining you, I cannot be sure of the exact placement.

Good Luck to you.  CoolSculpting by Zeltiq is fantastic technology that really works in the hands of a highly qualified technician.

Peter D. Geldner, MD

New Sized CoolSculpting Applicators

+1
CoolSculpting originally came with a one-size-fits-all applicator and quickly determined that one size did not fit all.

There have been additional sizing and shaping of the applicators that fit different areas. Each person's body contours are different and we'll routinely "test-place" different applicators to see which one works the best for your shape and the amount of fat in a particular area.

We're currently using all 4 available applicator sizes and expect another one within the month that will work on outer thighs. 

As to your doctor's recommendation, he has seen you in person and an in person assessment will always be the best way to get the proper recommendation.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Adapter size for CoolSculpting on abdomen

+1
Different physicians may have different opinions of whether to use two small adapters or one large adapter to treat the abdomen with CoolSculpting.  Honestly, I think you would see improvement either way and your ultimate result would most likely not be significantly different.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon