9 Weeks Post Op and Need Advice Please. Hump Developed & Bulbous Tip Has Dropped? (photo)

Hi, i'm currently 9 weeks post OP and feel I need advice from the experts. I have developed a Hump on the bridge that was never present before Rhinoplasty and the tip seems very bulbous. I've tried contacting the surgeon but no luck as yet. Its hard to press and if you notice on the photos, the tip has slightly dropped. I know i'm still in the early stages but is it likely more change will happen and it will reduce? Do i need to act now if scar tissue is developing? Thanks for your help

Polly Beak

+2

You almost certainly have what is called a Polly Beak deformity. There are several causes, but in your case it appears that the cartilaginous portion of your septum has not been reduced enough relative to the amount of your bony dorsum.  You have also lost support to your tip which appears like it is descending.  At only 9 weeks post-op, it is unlikely that scar tissue alone would cause this appearance.

I think you will want a revision in the future, but you should wait at least 6-12 months prior to having your nose revised.  Make sure your surgeon is a board certified plastic surgeon.  If you're not happy with your surgeon, get a second opinion.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Hump developed 9 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

Hello, and sorry to hear about the issues you are having following your procedure. At 9 weeks you are still going to be a bit swollen.  It can take up to a year to see the final result of your surgery. Looking at your photo, you may have developed a small polly-beak deformity which can be injected with either steroids or 5-fluorouracil at this time.  If that does not improve the issue, you may need a revision surgery in the future.
The tip will always drop a bit as you heal from your surgery, and by now should be in its final position. It is best to wait around one year before considering any revision work, and sometimes touch-ups may be performed sooner if there was no tip work. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pollybeak Appearance

+1

Hi,

It looks like you have a pollybeak deformity and a ptotic tip. You will definately need a revision rhinoplasty to correct this.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Hump developed after rhinoplasty

+1
Your photos at nine weeks looks as though the bridge was not reduced enough in the cartilaginous portion of the dorsum, as the hump appears just above the 'supratip'. Nothing to do now but wait, and if things don't improve the dorsum might need to be revised.

Rhinoplasty results take 1 year and are permanent then.

+1

Rhinoplasty results take 1 year and are permanent then. You need to wait that time to see the final result and if not satisfied a revision can be done.