I Am 8wks Post-op Neck/Face Lift and Now Have Very Visible Scars in Front of my Ears, What Can I Do?

Visible Facelift scars in front of ear at 8 weeks should be treated with IPL and 1540 laser now

+4

Visible Facelift scars in front of the ear should be managed early as results will be best if treatments are started in the first 2 months.

While scar creams and massage do help and should be done, they are ineffective against red raised Hypertrophic scars.

If they are very red,angry ad itchy start with IPL or Intense Pulsed Light-I use the Max G IPL.

Once redness is reduced then I use the 1540 Non ablative Fractional Erbium laser. This is the best laser I have seen for reducing the bulk of scars and flattening the scar.

Avoid steroid or cortisone injections-they will cause tissue atrophy, thinning of the skin and blood vessel growth on the skin

Scars after facelift need rapid treatment

+3

Visible scars can simply mean persistent redness or reflect the formation of hypertrophic or keloid scars. Pulsed dye laser, injected cortisone, super-potent cortisone creams and silicone scar gels like Biocorneum all have a place in making you look your best. Get in to see your surgeon as soon as possible for his or her recommendations. The younger the scar at treatment, the better the result.

Barry Resnik, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Concern about facelift scar 8 weeks postoperatively

+1

At 8 weeks post facelift, your scars are going to be red as a normal part of the inflammatory process. However, if they are already very wide or thick and elevated, those are different issues (photos would be helpful) and should be dealt with differently. Generally, it could be helpful to use a scar cream for several monthssuch as a silicone containing one. Full scar maturation can take up to a year.

I would discuss your concerns with your doctor (is he/she a board certified plastic surgeon or a physician of another area?) who may be able to better answer your concerns and alleviate your anxieties.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

I have very visible scars after my facelift.

+1

8 weeks out from surgery,  I would likely wait to do anything surgical. I agree that silicone sheeting may help. I would avoid steroid injections unless they are thickened and raised.  If they are simply wide, it may require a revision later.  Be aware that wide scars may have resulted from excess tension during the closure and only time will help improve this.  Either the scar will improve, or your skin will relax a bit and allow for scar excision at a later date.  Im sorry you are not happy with your result at this time and wish you the best during your recovery.

Christian Prada, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Post-facelift scarring

+1
Your scars are in the inflammatory phase. I tell patients that scarring will look worse 8 weeks after surgery than initially. At this point, you need a little patience. Scarring should improve over the course of a year. of course, if the scarring seems to be worsening, then there might concern about hypertrophy which can be treated by silicone sheeting or kenalog injections. Be sure to followup with your plastic surgeon and to continue to monitor the scarring.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+1

Eight weeks is early but if the technique used was the "straight line verticle incision" than revision can be done at 6 months. Need a photo posted. 

Scars after face lift

+1

The concern over the visibility of your scars is understandable. However, the best person to help you address these concerns and treat the problem is the original surgeon that performed your procedure.

Steven Hacker, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Visible scar after facelift

+1

Facelift scars usually look their worst at about 6-8 weeks. Give it time to fade, they usually heal very well.

Treatment for facelift scars

+1

If the scars are getting worse, there is concern for hypertrophic or even keloid scars forming.  Steroid injection, aggressive massage, or silicone sheeting may help.  Sometimes excessive tension at the skin closure can cause these types of scars, and may need to be revised at a later date.

Michael Orseck, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

What to do about visible scars 8 weeks after facelift surgery

+1

Just about 6-8 weeks post surgery is when we start seeing hypertrophic scars and keloids.  I suggest you see your surgeon as soon as possible for Kenalog injections to reduce the size and redness of the scars.

Hypertrophic scars and keloids are both red, raised and could be itchy or painful.  However, hypertrophic scars are confined to the area of the surgical wound and keloids tend to grow larger than the original wound.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon