My 85 Year Old Mother Wants a Lifestyle Lift: She Has Very Thin Skin - Should She?

Facelift at 85 is dependent on several factors.

+4
Age is not the only factor involved in deciding upon surgery first and foremost is her health. She would need full clearance from her physician as well as a proper work up. If all of these things are fine then she will need to proceed to a good board certified facial plastic surgeon for an evaluation and consultation. At this time she should be evaluated for the proper procedure and what type of facial lift she needs. Generally speaking an 85 year old patient who has never had any previous surgery would not be a candidate for Lifestyle Lift or short scar facelift due to excessive skin in the neck and facial ptosis. She should not have any procedure that is not done in a fully accredited operating facility with an anesthesiologist. I would further advise a second opinion with several skilled surgeons.

An 85 year old who wants a facelift deserves custom care

+4
Interestingly, as long as your 85 year old mother is in excellent health, she will do fine with a carefully-done facelift performed by an expert. I would strongly recommend she see a capable, experienced facial plastic surgeon who will take the time to do a full exam and thorough consultation preoperatively, and who will invest the time and skill necessary to get a safe, beautiful result in a challenging, thin-skinned patient.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Elderly face lift

+3

If the lift she is seeking is done under local anesthesia, it should be done in an accredited facility and be monitored by an anesthesia professional In spite of excellent health, the age of the patient warrants this approach. Also she may or not be a candidate for a limited lift unless she has had prior ones.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Limited Procedure at Age 85 May be a Waste of Time

+2

I would seriously recommend that your mother see a well respected local Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon who will customize and individualize her care.  For more info on LSL, listen to the Internet radio show linked below.  Good Luck!

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Healthy Octogenerians Reasonable Candidates for Mini Facelifts

+1

Health Not Age better determinant for surgery safety
It isn't a matter of your  age, but your overall health. That is, physiologic age is more important than chronological age. Whether you can have a face lift or not will depend on your general health, which will need to be assessed by an internist and/or cardiologist. If you  are not healthy enough to undergo a full face lift, she may be a candidate for a "mini facelift" such as the, Life Style lift or  LiteLift™, which is a simpler facelift procedure and does not require  general anesthesia.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Can an 85 year old have a Lifestyle lift

+1

My oppinion is definitely not. Lifestyle lift doesnt monitor the patients and dont generally operate out of accredited facilities. If my 85 year old mother was to have surgery I'd have a board certified experienced plastic surgeon operate on her with complete monitoring in a completely certified facility with an anaesthesiologist there .

Richard Ellenbogen, MD