8 Weeks Post Op Rhinoplasty. My Nostrils and Top Lip Are Not Looking Good? (photo)

I had an open procedure. The Dr. put in a columellar strut at the base, tip graphs and alar rim graphs. I lip does not come up completely when I smile and it feels like its being stopped at the base of my nose. My nostrils are very prominent and open. Their appearance hasn't changed since the operations. My top lip is much longer and flatter at rest than it was prior to the surgery. I am not happy with the result.

Eight weeks after rhinoplasty

+3
It is expected that after tip grafts the nasal tip will remain stiff for several months. Eight months will be a better time to judge.

Healing after rhinoplasty

+2

Let me start by reassuring you a bit because you are quite early in your recovery, and your nose will continue to undergo significant change over the upcoming year.  Now to address your concerns.  It's completely normal to have stiffness, numbness and an odd sensation in your upper lip after open rhinoplasty - especially with the placement of a columellar strut.  That being said, your surgeon may have also released or cut your depressor septi muscle.  This would explain the alteration in your smile and upper lip appearance - but only he would know which of these scenarios is yours.  As far as your nostrils, your surgeon did place alar rim grafts, so with healing the nostrils should come down a bit.  However, there is a limit to how much alar retraction can be corrected with rim grafts, so if you are unhappy with the amount of nostril show then you could always consider composite grafts down the line.  For now try to give your nose sufficient time to heal before you form your final opinion.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Results 8 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

The stiffness you describe is probably related to residual swelling. Your nostrils are a little arched but this may also improve as the swelling resolves. Give it another month. Hang in there.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Upper lip after rhinoplasty

+1

It is quite common to have some stiffness in the upper lip after rhinoplasty and this may take several months to improve.  

8 Weeks After Rhinoplasty

+1

Rhinoplasty takes longer for the final result to unfold than any other procedure.  At 8 weeks postop, there is a great deal of healing to do and speculation on how your results will be at 1 year is very difficult.  I would certainly voice your concerns with your Surgeon, but patience will be necessary over the next 6-12 months.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon