8 Days Since my Lips Were Filled, Shouldn't the Swelling Be Gone by Now? (photo)

Hi! I had my lips done with filler 8 days ago and there is still noticeable swelling above my lip (more on one side than the other). I'm now concerned this is incorrectly placed product, not swelling. I asked for a subtle plump, not to look like a duck! They called the product "global" I think, was supposed to be juvederm but they said this would give better results for the lip area. Haven't found much info on this, so if anyone knows much about this please help! Thanks in advance!

Lip Augmentation before and after

+2

Dear Shofstra

• Thank you for the photos, they are helpful
  • In order to answer your questions, you should find out exactly what was injected into the lip, you should contact the office and get the exact info
  • Feel free to repost or send an email once you found out and we can answer your question even better
  • Also, like everyone states, 2 weeks is a good indicator of when almost all of the swelling has gone down

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Swelling on the lips after using a filler

+2

Although swelling may at times be dramatic around the lips and persist for up to two weeks or more in delicate areas such as around the eyes, it appears that some of your extra volume may be due to the filler itself.  I recommend you consult the physician who performed the filler for you for an in-person assessment.  (Everyone has a different view as to how much filler is too much).  Depending on whether the filler used was a hyaluronic acid-based filler, your physician may be able to reverse any excess filler with hyaluronidase injections or possibly massage.  Good luck!

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after lip fillers

+2

Swelling can last up to about 2 weeks, but from your photos, you appear to have swelling and extra filler. Lip fillers are done best by experts who follow the natural shape of one's lips - the bottom lip is normally 2/3 and the tip lip is normally 1/3. Your post photos appear to have your top lip overfilled so you have more of a 50/50 ratio. I have no idea what product "global" is. Assuming it is a hyaluronic acid filler, some can be removed with hyaluronidase. But again, I've never heard of this filler.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

8 Days Since my Lips Were Filled, Shouldn't the Swelling Be Gone by Now?

+2

At 8 days, this is most likely not swelling but filler in the upper lip.  Aesthetically the lips are ideal when the upper is no larger than 75% the size of the lower lip. From the photo, your upper lip is bigger than the lower lip.

Injectable Lip Fullness Is Product Not Swelling

+2

At eight days after a lip injectable filler, you are not looking at swelling but the location and volume of the filler. If this is disturbing to you, you may ask your injector for some dilute hyaluronidase to dissolve some of the overfilled lip areas.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Lip injection

+2

Lip injection swelling usually lasts a few days but can last longer.  I would suggest that you follow closely with your doctor.

Swelling after lip fillers

+2

The majority of the swelling after lip injections occurs at 48 hours. While the majority of the swelling resolves by approximately one week, sometimes, swelling can linger for another week.

Follow up closely with your injector and make sure you are being treated by an experienced doctor or surgeon, particularly when getting treated in sensitive areas like the lips.

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Lip Augmentation

+2

It is quite possible that you are still swollen.   The lips are highly vascular and any bruising will prolong the resolution of swelling.  In addition, if only 1 ml or so was added to the upper and lower lips, then the result should not be very noticeable.  Once the swelling is completely gone, any irregularities can be touched up. 

Lip Augmentation and Swelling

+1

Swelling for one to two weeks following fillers in not uncommon, especially if there is some bruising.  The amount of swelling is related to the type of product used, technique, bruising, and the individual.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon