Is 7 Months Too Early for a Revision For a Case With Multiple Complications?

I am saw a well regarded rhinoplasty Dr. as a second opinion. He basically confirmed all my fears. I am now suffering from alar rim retraction, inverted v deformity,internal and external valve collaspe and a slight saddle deformity & asymmetrical nostrils. He suggest doing a revision with alar batten grafts,composite grafts and spreader grafts at 7months. He doesn't think I should wait a year because things will just get worse in that time. Is this enough time to wait. Don't want to have regrets

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Waiting at least one year before performing any revision work is a must, as swelling is still an issue and can interfere with surgery.  An examination would really be necessary to give you precise advice. I would recommend seeking the advice of a board certified revision rhinopalsty specialist who has a great deal of experience.  Thank you and best of luck.

How long should I wait for a revision rhinoplasty

+1

Revision rhinoplasty is a difficult surgery and the whole point of waiting one year is to let the healing process subside so that the full effects of the original rhinoplasty are seen and examined.  The appropriate amount of time is a judgement call, but waiting a few more months would not hurt.  Although many rhinoplasty plastic surgeons in Los Angeles typically wait one year, the time period is a rough estimate of how much time is recommended. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

+1

If you have an questions or concerns about the Revision Rhinoplasty, have 1 or 2 more second opinions.  What could it hurt and it may make you at ease with your final decision.  Be certain that  the Rhinoplasty Surgeon, you select, understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and nasal) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive nose and face.

A surgical revision rhinoplasty should wait 6-9 months.

+1

Hello 77238t;

The crookedness is probably due to a deviated septum

When you are injured three weeks before the rhinoplasty, the stage was set for the crooked nose.  Unfortunately, the plastic surgery was not successful in correcting that; although, it is important to know if the nasal surgeon did, in fact, operate on that portion of the nose responsible for the crookedness. 

You should ask that question.  It would have taken open reduction of the fractured septum and/or nasal septoplasty to accomplish that, most likely.  Your photograph, which is quite helpful, if taken only six weeks ago, suggests that time is necessary.

The 6-9 month period after rhinoplasty  surgery is reasonable and accepted by most experienced nasal surgeons.  Only a consultation will give you the answers that you need.  I would encourage you to, at least, seek consultation so you can "plan ahead." 

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Robert Kotler, MD

I wait a year

+1

I don't like reoperating on noses until they have had a year to mature. If it is only a minor thing like a minor bump - ok , sooner than a year. Major stuff like you are talking about, I wait a year.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Rhinoplasty revision

+1

In most cases, it is best to wait about year until all the swelling has dissipated.  Going in too early can make the dissection extremely difficult.

Revision of Nose with Multiple Complications 7 Months Post-op

+1

I respectfully disagree that a nose with multiple complications should be revised sooner than the usual 1 year that we recommend for revision rhinoplasty. I would want to wait until healing is complete because of the number and severity of the problems.