Where Can I Get HQ 8%?

Thanks a million Dr Kaplan, your response gives Me hope of having a treatment possibility. I wish you were in Houston so I can rush for treatment, there seems to be no scar Dr in Houston. Where can I get the HQ (at 6% OR 8%) so I can try it; am dark skin, will it work for me? My former dermatologist tried some kind of laser with only made things worst and added hyperpigmentation on my legs and so we did not even try my arms anymore, but I will be grateful if you can tell my were to get HQ 8%.

Compounding Pharmacy for 8% Hydroquinone

+2

Most full compounding pharmacies can make a Hydroquinone to your desired strength, and common strengths range from 6-10%.  Most Dermatologist have a good working relationship with some of these pharmacies.  Note, these are NOT your big box pharmacies, but more of the "mom and pop" shops.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Highly potent bleaching cream

+2

4% hydroquinone is the highest concentration that may be obtained through pharmeceutical companies.  8% hydroquinone is the highest strength that can be prepared (due to chemical properties of the drug) and many compounding pharmacies will prepare it with a physician's order.  If you live in Houston and need treatment of hyperpigmentation, you may wish to consult with Dr. Paul Friedman.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Melarase creams vs. Hydroquinone 8% cream

+1

Although some physicians prefer higher dose hydroquinone, others like myself believe that hydroquinone is not better when used in higher concentrations.  With this belief, I advocate tyrosinase inhibition by multiple active ingredients rather than high dose hydroquinone. There are many combination tyrosinase inhibitors, including my preference which is Melarase AM and Melarase PM. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Hydroquinone 8% is Prescription Strength

+1

Hydroquinone 8% is Prescription Strength and should be applied to dark patches or hyperpigmented scars after proper examination by a board-certified physician. 

Leyda Elizabeth Bowes, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Hydroquinone from Compounding Pharmacy

+1

8% hydroquinone can only be obtained form a compounding pharmacy.  You must get a prescription for a physician. 

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Hydroquinone and hyperpigmentation

+1

The highest percentage of hydroquinone (HQ) in topical medications that are produced in the US is 4%.  To get a higher percentage, your doctor would need to have the medication made by a compounding pharmacy.  Care must be taken with higher percentage HQ creams, as there are numerous reports of paradoxical hyperpigmentation, called exogenous ochronosis, that can occur with prolonged use of higher percentage HQ creams.  Please have your treatment monitored by a board certified dermatologist.  

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon